April 29, 2024, 04:38:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Few questions about conductivity  (Read 3730 times)

Offline djiang87

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Few questions about conductivity
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:59:04 AM »
Why is alternating current used to measure the conductivity of solutions?

The literature value of Ka for ethanoic acid is 1.75^10-5 molkg^-1 is approximately equal to  1.75 x 10^-8 at 25 degrees celcius. Do conductivity measurements provide an accurate method of measuring acidity constants and solubilities?

Critically compare the available methods for measuring Ka

Any help would be much appreciated. Thx

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: Few questions about conductivity
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:46:30 AM »
I'll answer to your first question, even tough the whole request looks like a homework assignment...

Using direct current would cause the solution of which the conductivity has to be measured to start electrolysing thus not following Ohm's Law (IR=∆V) which allows us to find out the conductivity as the inverse of resistivity. On the other hand, if we use alternated current, the adsorbate on each electrode will electrolyse in the short time during which it's subject to a positive charge (for a 1000 Hz AC it's 10-3 s) and then return to its original state during the next moment, when the direction of the current is inverted. In this way there is no real electrolysis in the solution and it follows Ohm's Law (there are also methods using DC instead of AC to measure conductivity but they're much less precise than the other mentioned).
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 02:59:30 AM »
value of Ka for ethanoic acid is 1.75^10-5 molkg^-1 is approximately equal to  1.75 x 10^-8 at 25 degrees celcius.

No, 1.75e-5 is not - even approximately - equal to 1.75e-8.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline djiang87

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:10:29 AM »
Yeah i know those values arent close but thats wot was written.

And to the first guy to reply, yeah the questions i posted up are the ones i couldnt answer from after performing a prac i did not too long ago. The problem with the questions is that we never learnt anything about conductance. Infact i dont even see a relation between the prac i did and our subject which is 'pharmokinetics'.

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »
Well, consider that sometimes with conductivity measurements (especially when the reaction involves free ions) we can find out reaction speed... (the changings in conductivity tell us approximately how many ions have been produced or used)

And sorry if I seemed a bit suspicious about your question... but you can't even imagine how many people asks us to solve their homework  ;D
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline djiang87

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
MrTeo yeah i can understand that, i wouldnt be surprised if people did.

Also i realised in the second question i asked about the values are approximate as if you look at the difference in SI units it does make them similar in value to each other.

Sponsored Links