April 18, 2024, 04:15:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Molality from molarity of unknown solute  (Read 5949 times)

Offline warprin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Molality from molarity of unknown solute
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:13:41 PM »
I have been looking at this for 2 hours and I'm missing something very basic.

I have three solutions: 25mL of A, 50mL of B, 100 mL of C. They all have the same solution density, which is unknown. All contain 0.041 moles of ions (aqueous ionic solution). However, I don't know what these ions are, but each solution has a particular number of ions of various charges and sizes drawn in the solutions: A has 8 ions, B has 10 ions and C has 12 ions. I calculated molarity for each at 1.64, .82 and .41 since I know the number of moles and the mass of the solution.

In trying to calculate molalities, I need the moles of solute (which I know) and the mass of the solvent, and it's the latter I'm stuck on.

Would someone point me in the right direction? I just don't see how I can calculate the mass of the solvent (even if I assume it's highly diluted and use molarity instead).

Thanks!

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: Molality from molarity of unknown solute
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:59:05 AM »
Here's something that could be quite useful to you: M stands for molarity, m is the molality (msolvent and msolute are the masses), Mr is the molecular mass (relative) and the density.

The units used are g/L for the density (even if dividing it by 1000 in the last passage we convert it to g/cm3), grams and liters for volume.
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Molality from molarity of unknown solute
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:15:06 AM »
Printable, downloadable concentration cheat sheet.

Mass of solvent - assuming diluted solutions it is just volume times density (1 g/mL for water).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links