April 25, 2024, 12:52:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: second marathon problem (much more difficult)  (Read 15981 times)

Offline sapphiregirl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
second marathon problem (much more difficult)
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:50 AM »
The formate ion, (CHO2-), is related to the acetate ion and forms ionic salts with many metal ions. Assume that 9.7416 g of M(CHO2)2 (where M represents the atomic symbol for a particular metal) are dissolved in water. When a solution of 0.200 M sodium sulfate is added, a white precipitate forms. The sodium sulfate solution is added until no more precipitate forms, then a few excess milliliters are added. The precipitate is filtered, washed, and dried. It has a mass of 9.389 g. The filtrate is placed aside.
A potassium permanganate solution is standardized by dissolving 0.9234 g of sodium oxalate in dilute sulfuric acid, which is then titrated with the potassium permanganate solution. The principal products of the reaction are manganese(II) ion and carbon dioxide gas. It requires 18.55 mL of the potassium permanganate solution to reach the end point, which is characterized by the first permanent, but barely perceptible, pink (purple) color of the permanganate ion.

The filtrate from the original reaction is diluted by pouring all of it into a 250-mL volumetric flask, diluting to the mark with water, then mixing thoroughly. Then 10.00 mL of this diluted solution is pipetted into a 125-mL Erlenmeyer flask, approximately 25 mL of water is added, and the solution is made basic. What volume of the standard permanganate solution will be needed to titrate this solution to the end point? The principal products of the reaction are carbonate ion and manganese(IV) oxide. Find M.

I don't even know where to begin. Some guidance of some sort would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: second marathon problem (much more difficult)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:17:21 AM »
You know masses of equimolar amounts of M(CHO2)2 and MSO4 - won't it be enough to find out molar mass of M?

Edit: hm, should be, but with these numbers (9.7416 & 9.389) molar mass seems to be negative...

Second part requires reaction equations and number of moles from the first part.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sapphiregirl

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:54:36 AM »
i'm still confused. i don't get what you just said. what's the first step?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:51:26 AM »
Assume M is a molar mass of the metal and n is number of moles of the metal. Try to express masses of the salts in terms of these numbers. That will give you two equations in two unknowns.

Unfortunately, while this seems to be the correct approach, it leads nowhere - are you sure there is no typo in the data you have entered, especially in the masses of the salts?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:57:32 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sapphiregirl

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
there were some typos i realized. here's the problem again:

The formate ion, (CHO2)1-, forms ionic compounds with many metal ions. Assume that 9.746 g M(CHO2)2 (where M represents the atomic symbol for a particular metal) is dissolved in water. When a solution of .200 M (molarity) sodium sulfate is added, a white precipitate forms. The sodium sulfate solution is added until no more precipitate forms; then a few milliliters are added in excess. The precipitate is filtered, dried, and weighed. It has a mass of 9.9389 g. The filtrate is saved for further use.

A potassium permanganate solution is standardized by dissolving 0.9234 g sodium oxalate in dilute sulfuric acid and then titrating with the potassium permanganate solution. The principal products of the reaction are manganese (II) ion and carbon dioxide gas. The titration requires 18.55 mL of the potassium permanganate solution to reach the endpoint, which is indicated by the first permanent, but barely perceptible, pink color of the permanganate ion.

The filtrate from the original reaction is diluted by pouring it into a 250-mL volumetric flask, diluting to the mark with water, and then mixing thoroughly. An aliquot consisting of 10.00 mL of this diluted solution is pipetted into a 125-mL Erlenmeyer flask, approximately 25 mL of water is added, and the solution is made basic. What volume of the standard permanganate solution will be needed to titrate this solution to the equivalence point? The principal products of the reaction are carbonate ion and manganese (IV) oxide. Identify M.

I'm still very confused.

Offline sapphiregirl

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »
borek, i don't get what you said about that first step. i don't understand what i'm supposed to do. please help somebody. i'm very lost.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
If M is molar mass of the metal, and if chloride formula is MCl2, mass of the n moles of this chloride is n*(M+2*35.5).

Now try to write identical formulas for masses of both sulfate and formate. You know that in both equations M and n will be the same - just solve.

Offline sapphiregirl

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:50:22 PM »
ok where's the Cl2 coming from? The first part CHO2. And also what about all the titration and filter stuff?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 02:42:47 AM »
ok where's the Cl2 coming from? The first part CHO2. And also what about all the titration and filter stuff?

Cl is just an example, to make you understand how to deal with sulfate and formate.

Wrire equations for all reactions taking place. Start with preicipitation, as it will tell you what has been filtered and what was left in the solution.

http://www.titrations.info/

http://www.titrations.info/permanganate-titration

Offline sapphiregirl

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »
Ok here are the equations, though I'm still confused.

The formate ion, (CHO2)1-, forms ionic compounds with many metal ions. Assume that 9.746 g M(CHO2)2 (where M represents the atomic symbol for a particular metal) is dissolved in water. When a solution of .200 M (molarity) sodium sulfate is added, a white precipitate forms. The sodium sulfate solution is added until no more precipitate forms; then a few milliliters are added in excess. The precipitate is filtered, dried, and weighed. It has a mass of 9.9389 g. The filtrate is saved for further use.

M(CHO2)2 + Na2SO4 -> 2NaCHO2 + MSO4 (which one is the precipitate???)

A potassium permanganate solution is standardized by dissolving 0.9234 g sodium oxalate in dilute sulfuric acid and then titrating with the potassium permanganate solution. The principal products of the reaction are manganese (II) ion and carbon dioxide gas. The titration requires 18.55 mL of the potassium permanganate solution to reach the endpoint, which is indicated by the first permanent, but barely perceptible, pink color of the permanganate ion.

Na2C2O4 + HSO4- + KMnO4 -> Mn2- + CO2 + ? (what happens to the Na, SO4, and K?)

The filtrate from the original reaction is diluted by pouring it into a 250-mL volumetric flask, diluting to the mark with water, and then mixing thoroughly. An aliquot consisting of 10.00 mL of this diluted solution is pipetted into a 125-mL Erlenmeyer flask, approximately 25 mL of water is added, and the solution is made basic. What volume of the standard permanganate solution will be needed to titrate this solution to the equivalence point? The principal products of the reaction are carbonate ion and manganese (IV) oxide. Identify M.

Filtrate + KMnO4 -> MnO2 + CO3-

help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
M(CHO2)2 + Na2SO4 -> 2NaCHO2 + MSO4 (which one is the precipitate???)

Sulfate.

Na2C2O4 + HSO4- + KMnO4 -> Mn2- + CO2 + ? (what happens to the Na, SO4, and K?)

Nothing - they are just spectators.

By some magic trick you have changed NaCHO2 to Na2C2O4.

Mn2+. And you can ignore HSO4-, sulfuric acid is just a source of H+.

Offline sapphiregirl

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
it say sodium oxalate. isn't sodium oxalate Na2C2O4?

Offline sapphiregirl

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 04:56:29 PM »
M(CHO2)2 + Na2SO4 -> 2NaCHO2 + MSO4

is this the balanced equation for what they're talking about in the first part?

Offline sapphiregirl

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »
is this final reaction when it says you take the filtrate from the original reaction, dilute it with water, then titrate it with potassium permanganate solution, and the products are manganese (IV) oxide and carbonate ion?

MSO4 (where M is the metal) + KMnO4 -> MnO2 + CO3-?

if so, where is the carbon coming from in the products?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 06:11:35 PM »
it say sodium oxalate. isn't sodium oxalate Na2C2O4?

Ah OK, there will be two reactions - one with oxalate, one with formate.

Sponsored Links