March 29, 2024, 03:17:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NMR - brief intro  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
NMR - brief intro
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:07:44 AM »
I want someone to explain to me what NMR is all about, its uses/applications.

Also, i would be grateful if someone could insert a picture of an NMR sheet, and explain what all information it can provide a about a molecule.

P.S : please do not redirect me to another website/search engine. I hate reading such articles on the net... I mean the links just keep going on and on and on....

Any help is highly appreciated...thanks

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-3
  • Surface Modification
Re: NMR - brief intro
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:10:58 AM »
I'm not going to redirect you to a website/search engine, but I'm going to tell you to get the following book (from a library if you don't want to pay for it):

Spectroscopic Methods in Organic Chemistry 5th edition by Dudley H. Williams and Ian Fleming

This will show you what NMR spectroscopy is, and how to apply it to problems in organic chemistry such as structure determination.  The book also covers other techniques such as IR and mass spec.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:02:34 PM »
As the others have mentioned I cannot explain what NMR is all about in such a brief space, but I can say that it it is a powerful tool that can be used as a way to identify structures of organic compounds. In principle it is no different than any other form of spectroscopy. You shine a light on a compound, and some of the light gets absorbed at certain frequencies while it doesn't get absorbed at other frequencies. From analyzing the absorption patterns you can deduce the structure of the molecule you are analyzing.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »
Thanks guys.

Those books were helpful
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links