April 24, 2024, 10:15:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the polar opposite of Iron?  (Read 18041 times)

Offline sahmoma

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is the polar opposite of Iron?
« on: September 06, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
Hi
Can somebody please tell me if according to the periodic table there is a polar opposite to iron? If so what is it? If not, is there a metal or element that weakens it or repels it?

Thank you!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: What is the polar opposite of Iron?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »
What do you mean by "polar opposite"? This is term outside of the realm of chemistry as I know it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sahmoma

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
What do you mean by "polar opposite"? This is term outside of the realm of chemistry as I know it.

Forgive me I am not so good at science :) I am trying to find a metal or other element that would be the oppsite of iron or repel it... would zinc be one?

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
I think there's still the same problem... what do you mean with "repel"? You should only try to be a little more clear, maybe saying also why do you need this information (to make at least the usage field clear) ;)
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
Do you mean when Iron loses electrons and becomes an ion? In that case it would have a positive charge and would repel other positively charged ions such as Zinc. A positively charged iron atom would attract oppositely charged negative ions such as chlorine and would tend to form chemical compounds with them to neutralize it's charge (such as Ferric Chloride). I have no idea what the terms you are using mean either though (the simplest use of language is always the best...complicated terminology has no meaning unless it is used properly, and it rarely is).

Sponsored Links