April 26, 2024, 02:04:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: anhydrous cobalt chloride  (Read 10309 times)

Offline superg

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
anhydrous cobalt chloride
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »
hi all,

we've got some cobalt chloride in the lab (hydrated, red-pink color) and i need some anhydrous for a synthesis. is there any way to dehydrate this compound, without heating it to extreme temperate?

cheers

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: anhydrous cobalt chloride
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:49:51 AM »
an oven at 110°C

Offline superg

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »
thx

but i've read somewere that water in compounds can be hard to remove, heating them at 110° can't be enought...

bye

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »
Why ask for advice if you then ignore it?

Go and Google the use of Cobalt chloride as indicator in silica gel drying granules.

I've dried them from pink to blue at 110°C in an oven but obviously as you've read something somewhere about something else that means I must be lying.  Why not put some in an oven and find out which one of us is right and then do your reaction either that or carry on whinging and get nowhere.

Offline superg

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 06:48:19 AM »
the prep i have consist to react SOCl2 with the hydrated chloride salt...so why they use this quite harsh method if all the water goes off only at 110°? perhaps because they need extra dry cobalt chloride?

my initiial question was to know if it's the anhydrous compound that is made just by heating or one of the low hydrated form...

so next time before thinking that someone ignore your advices, try to understand what the people want

bye

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:13:03 AM »
the prep i have consist to react SOCl2 with the hydrated chloride salt...so why they use this quite harsh method if all the water goes off only at 110°? perhaps because they need extra dry cobalt chloride?

No idea but that was not what you asked about was it.

my initiial question was to know if it's the anhydrous compound that is made just by heating or one of the low hydrated form...

no your initial question was how to prepare anhydrous cobalt chloride, which I answered.

If you'd bothered to google what I told you to you would know that hydrated cobalt chloride CoCl2.6H20 is rose pink while anhydrous cobalt chloride CoCl2is blue.  I do not know of any low hydrated forms as I think you've just made that bit up.

so next time before thinking that someone ignore your advices, try to understand what the people want

If you'd asked for what you realy wanted right at the start it would have made it easier for all of us.  Next time you need to know something why not try looking it up yourself.  The information you needed is very easy to find if you'd tried.

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »
If you want a very low residual water in your compound you could dry it with compounds like P4O10, BaO, Mg(ClO4)2, CaO, silica gel,...

Sponsored Links