April 18, 2024, 08:39:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: hydrosulfuric acid  (Read 42370 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: hydrosulfuric acid
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
Thin layer of sulfide. Color visible is IMHO due to the same effect you see when there is a gas drop put on the water.

Gaseous hydrogen sulfide will be probably most effective. Look for thioacetamide, it decomposes when heated and produces H2S.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jamesslack

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 01:47:37 PM »
thank you very much i will try to buy some.

Offline jamesslack

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 03:13:41 PM »
i think i found it,THIOACETAMIDE, REAGENT, ACS - 25 GM  would this be it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »
Name sounds correct. Put a little bit in water, and heat - it will hydrolize and stink as hell.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jamesslack

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »
i thank you again, i have been working on this for months now.

Offline jamesslack

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 08:20:01 PM »
also do you need to wear a gas mask when turning this into a gas. or just be in a well ventilated area

Offline MarZ

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 12:07:18 AM »
From my side I can confirm that SOdium Hydrogen Sulphate solution cleaned the coin nicely but did not form the colourful effect.  At the beginning of the thread it seemed you wanted to clean coins with some mild form of Sulphuric acid.  I agree with Borek's suggestion and precautions. If at home, I would try this under ventilation extraction over cooker/oven at your kitchen (if you have one), else outdoors.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 03:58:44 AM »
Outdoors, or in some half open structure. You don't want to smell hydrogen sulfide at home.

Note, that hydogen sulfide is treacherous - it stinks like hell in lower concentrations, but it somehow paralyzes (in the lack of better word in my English) the nose cells in concentrations in which it is really dangerous.

But then, using just a pinch of thioacetamide, you are on the safe side. Just remember to either warn your neighbors or try it far from the buildings :)

Offline jamesslack

thioacetamide
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 09:18:59 PM »
the thioacetamide i got does not smell like rotten eggs or is there a smell to it, would this be a bad batch. i put some in a jar and i will let set for acouple of days to see if i get toneing on my silver coin. i put water and thioacetamide in a test tube and heated it up so the steam would go up the hose and into my other jar with the coin init. but the first time i tryed it i let the jar set for a day and tooked the lid off and there was no smell at all. heres a picture of the bottle that the companie sold me.

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
Re: thioacetamide
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
You shouldn't be sniffing chemicals  :-X

But yeah, according to the MSDS, thioacetamide has a very mild smell.

Offline jamesslack

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
on my old post that i listed which is 12 post below this one hydrosulfuric acid i was told it would stink very bad that's why i thought maybe i had something that wasn't working.  boy i really wish i was a chemest so i would know all this stuff.  sorry for bugging you chemest.

Offline jamesslack

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
i was also told i could make the H2S gas with black salt sulfur and a toilet bowl cleaner called the works but you got to use 2lbs of the salt and five bottals of the works which is way to much stuff to mix to tone a coin, but i think making it that way is way to dangers.

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 11:32:09 PM »
Oh i see...you should have just replied in that thread; it would have bumped it to the top and helped with the clutter  ;)

Yeah thioacetamide itself doesn't stink, but it releases H2S which smells like rotten eggs (and is extremely toxic so don't breathe in much and make sure you do this in a place with good ventilation).

It is hard to tell from your setup if the H2S didn't react with your coins already which would explain why you didn't smell anything after a day or so. To test for the quality of your thioacetamide I suggest following Borek's adivice by taking a tiny amount of thioacetamide and dissolve it in water (no fancy appratus), and heat it up on it's own out in the open air to test for the production of H2S fumes. Once you smell that, immediately cut the heat because you know it is working. Then once you know it is working, proceed to the coin setup afterwards.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 04:53:53 AM »
Just heat it up in water, it should start to stink.

Edit: I have merged topics.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:04:25 AM by Borek »

Offline jamesslack

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »
well i tryed the thioacetamide to tone my coins but it did not work. but i did come across something that does give me the colors that i want but the colors are very light. heres a picture of a coin that i put in salt water and added current to the water. i guess they call it anodizing. is there anything i can add to my salt water to make the colors stand out more, any info at all would help and i will try what ever you say that migjt help. heres the picture

Sponsored Links