April 20, 2024, 02:45:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which Course Should I Take, Computer Science I Or Some History Class?  (Read 4360 times)

yg7s7

I'm a junior who goes to a liberal arts school, and my major is chemistry. After my 2 years of college experience and mulling over my aptitudes and career opportunities for a long time, I figured I should change my major to chemical engineering. However, my school does not have an engineering school, so I'll have to transfer to follow my goal. I'm planning to transfer after finishing fall semester. My overall GPA isn't that good (3.0), so I won't be applying to top-tier schools.

The notable classes I've already taken are: gen chem w/ labs, o-chem w/ labs, analytical chem, inorganic chem, freshmen calc I and II, multivariable calc, and linear algebra. By the end of this semester I will be finishing Physics 1, P-chem 1 (thermodynamics), Differential equations, Biochemistry (designed for chem majors, spans only 1 semester).

I still have to choose a 5th class, and I'm torn between Computer Science I, of which course description merely says "No prerequisite required. This course is an introduction to the art and science of computer programming and to some of the fundamental concepts of computer science. Students will write programs in the Java programming language. Good program design methodology will be stressed throughout. There will also be a study of some of the basic notions of computer science, including computer systems organization, files, and some algorithms of fundamental importance," and a history class called Europe and the Modern World I. Honestly, I don't think I can transfer the credit from neither of the classes. Will CS I be more useful?

Offline Ida Isotope

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Which Course Should I Take, Computer Science I Or Some History Class?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »
I definately think History would be more interesting but the computer science class will probably be more useful/applicable in the future.

I'm personally very intimidated by computers....didn't use one until 4 years ago. I wish I knew them better.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »
Hi yg7s7,

I have a background in chemistry and computer science. Computer science will benefit your chemistry knowledge. It is an essential tool.

The java language is especially great! I personally program in Netbeans (free plugins and no compatibility problems between operating systems .. at least no problems yet).

Really, you can't go wrong with java.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

yg7s7

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 02:34:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 02:49:03 AM »
Really, you can't go wrong with java.

With one important caveat - Java is basically an interpreted language, which means it is not a good choice whenever you need high performance for numerical calculations.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links