March 29, 2024, 11:20:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problems with employment with a BS in Chemistry?  (Read 69889 times)

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Re: Problems with employment with a BS in Chemistry?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 05:35:29 PM »
This is kind of a side question, but do yo think doing a project management internship as a undergrad chem major would be helpful?

It certainly can't hurt, any experience gained "out in the world" can only enhance your employment prospects.

As a Biochem undergrad I worked in a pharmaceutical company for a year, It improved my planning and organizational skills, helpedme come to terms with GLP and dealing with QA units, and speeded up my activity in the laboratory in order to accomplish what is needed on a daily basis. Things which have stood me in good stead throughout my career.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline marc

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Problems with employment with a BS in Chemistry?
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I just graduated back in may with BS in Chem with a 3.11. Not that great but ok. I started applying to jobs about two months before I finished school and ended up as a technician working for 14/hr. I spend two months there while continuing to look for a job and applying for just about everything that I could find. In the end I came out with two solid offers.

One was a Radiological Control Technician with the navy as a civilian. Starting at 37K going up to 55 over 3yrs and maxing out at 125K

The job I took was a Inorganic/Radio Chemist position for the Department of Energy at the Hanford Nuclear site starting at 50K. I consider myself very luck, this job is part of the Obama stimulus plan and is scheduled to last 2yrs. However, I have already been asked to stick around after the 2yrs.

Point of the story is apply everywhere! You never know who will call you back, the usajobs site is a good place to start.

Sponsored Links