March 28, 2024, 09:10:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anti-matter  (Read 9332 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Anti-matter
« on: June 10, 2005, 10:53:49 PM »
Ok I decided to start a new topic. Positrons and anti-protons are what I'm asking about. These are produced in particle accelerators. What happens to cause a "reverse" in charge since positrons have about the same mass as an electron and same goes for the anti-proton.

One last question. What's the deal with neutrinos. They're released during nuclear decay from what I've read. Is they're a particle reason why they're so anti-social or does it just have to do with the small mass and lack of a charge?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Mad_Scientist

Re:Anti-matter
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 04:54:50 AM »
Nothing really reverses charge in electrons to form positrons, (and same goes for protons and anti-protons).  The difference is in the quarks they are made of.  For example, protons are made of two Up and one Down quark. The neutron is made of two Down and one Up quark. The Up quarks have a 2/3 positive charge and the Down has a 1/3 negative charge.  So the different combinations of quarks will give you different overall charge for a given particle.  

Neutrinos and antinutrinos (they, unlike protons and anti-protons, differer in orientations of spin and linear momentum), do not interact with matter because they are too small, uncharged and because neutrinos are electrically neutral, they are not affected by the electromagnetic forces which act on electrons. Neutrinos are affected only by a "weak" sub-atomic force of much shorter range than electromagnetism, and are therefore able to pass through great distances in matter without being affected by it.

Sponsored Links