April 24, 2024, 07:32:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: regarding optic alcohols and pH  (Read 3514 times)

hunterxv

regarding optic alcohols and pH
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:00:44 PM »
i've been looking for this like hell, and I think I have excluded a few, but I can´t find.

Im supposed to answer what of the following alcohols är optically active, but Im not so sure what it really means.

CH3CH2CH2CH2OH
(CH3)3COH
(CH3)2CHCH2OH
CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3
CH3CH2CH(OH)CH2CH3

also, there's one thing a about pH that i need to calculate. I've got a solution of 0,1M NH4NO3 and I'm supposed to calc pH.
And is Ka(NH4+) = 5,6*10^-10. So It's pKa = -lg 5,6*10^-10 = 9,25, right?

I dont know it from there, am I supposed to calculate with H20 aswell since if says solution? does it NH4 get protolysed so I get NH3 and H3O? since water can act both as a base and acid?

I appreciate all the help I can get, thx!

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re:regarding optic alcohols and pH
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 08:43:27 PM »
You said you tried.  That's all I have to go on.

Optically active compounds, I once learned, are ones that are chiral...that is, (in organic chemistry) there's a carbon in the chain that has four different substituents.

For example, CH2Cl2 is not chiral.  There are two hydrogens.
CHClFI is chiral.  The one carbon has four different substituents.
C(CH3CH2CH2)(CH3CH2)(CH3)(C6H5) is chiral as well.  Four different substituents.

Someone else might help out with the pH question...but I would recommend just talking to a teacher or another student or consulting a textbook...just to lay the basics down for you.

Good luck.  :)

P.S. I NEVER learned chriality until second-year university...is it in some highschools?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:regarding optic alcohols and pH
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 08:46:41 PM »
i learned chirality during my pre-university GCE A levels back home.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links