March 28, 2024, 06:27:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Light Stick Liquid turns honeybees blue  (Read 3421 times)

Adam

Light Stick Liquid turns honeybees blue
« on: June 11, 2005, 11:55:13 PM »
I remember always being curious about those basic lightsticks. Quite a few years back I tried experimenting with the liquid inside the lightick after illumination. Being that it seemed very non toxic, I was not too afraid of the substance, Being that it contains only H202 (hydrogen peroxide) 2CO2, 2OH, and 2CO2 along with dye. So, I was later curious on how this would affect insects. In a not-so-humane experiment, I placed a drop of the glow stick substance on a common honey-bee, and it turned the bee blue, and the glowstick was green. I tried this with a variety of light colored lightsticks and the same result occured. Also the excess of the liquid was harmful or fatal to the bee, so I dont advise this be done liberally. So, any explanation on this result? Or, any other info on lightsticks?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Light Stick Liquid turns honeybees blue
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 04:42:37 AM »
The dye will be a different color then when it goes through chemiluminesence. Let the dye sit out for a couple of days and let us know what color it is. Also, the manufacturer of the glow stick along with the brand name and type of glow stick would be useful information.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links