April 28, 2024, 05:44:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: iodometry  (Read 9699 times)

Offline Rayan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +5/-14
iodometry
« on: June 10, 2005, 12:24:50 PM »
the aim is to determine the normality of a potassium permanganate solution.
we  mixed H2SO4 with KI and KMnO4, the following rxn takes place:

2knO4 + 10 KI + 8 H2SO4 ---> 5I2 + ...

then we titrated the I2 by a Na2S2O3 solution, the rxn is:

I2 + 2S2O32- ---> S4O62- + 2I-

so from the second equation, we calculate the normality of the thiosulfate solution, and then we have n KMnO4 = n Na2S2O3
(this is written in the manual)

but what is the number of moles of I2?
we should calculate it from the first equation, but is it just simply nI2/5 = nacid/8 ?
and if so, then n = CV. what is the volume? the total volume of solution?

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:iodometry
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 01:50:09 PM »
Once you have the number of moles of KMnO4, it necessarily follows that you have I2 in a 5:2 ratio with KMnO4.

When you say n = CV, what are you meaning by CV?  Variables?  Concentration times volume?  The number of moles is equal to the concentration times the volume of the solution you are using.  If you're trying to determine the number of moles of permanganate, I don't know where the manual got that the number of moles of permanganate is equal to the number of moles of thiosulfate from what you have written.  I would assume that one mole of permanganate produced 5 moles iodine and each mole of iodine titrated two moles of thiosulfate, so one mole of permanganate actually corresponds to ten moles of thiosulfate.  Therefore, if you have the number of moles of thiosulfate that you used, (not molarity, but moles), divide it by 10 and you'll have the number of moles of permanganate.  Since you know how much permanganate solution you used to begin with (I'm sure you recorded this volume, or this whole exercise is pointless), you can calculate concentration.

Offline Rayan

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 02:58:03 PM »
okay but what is the number of moles of I2? at equivalence we have the number of moles of I2 is equal to that of thiosulfate so i can calculate the number of moles of thiosulfate and then permanganate. and TWO mole of permanganate produce 5 moles of I2 and each one mole of I2 titrates 2 moles of thiosulfate, then five moles of permanganate correspond to one mole of thiosulfate and not ten.
now going back to the number of moles of I2, where should i get it from?

Offline Rayan

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 03:13:53 PM »
what is the relation between normality N and the molarity? i remember it is M = N/x where x is the number of electron exchanged. but i'm not sure..
and in this case, and if it true the relation i wrote, for KMnO4 , M = N/5 and for S2O32- M= N/2 ? is it correct like this?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 10:51:53 PM »
i take it u meant one mol of permaganate corresponded with five mol of thiosulfate? because thats the correct answer.

if u want to find the total number of moles of I2, u should refer to your titration results as to how much thiosulfate was used, then divide it by 2.
one learns best by teaching

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 02:36:51 AM »
Sorry, my math error.  If 2 mols permanganate give 5 mols iodine, which titrate 10 mols thiosulfate, 1 mol of permangante will titrate 5 mols thiosulfate.  

The number of mols of iodine is equal to half the number of mols of thiosulfate, as xiankai states, because they are in a 1:2 ratio of iodine to thiosulfate.

Normality is the number of equivalents per liter of solution.  If we're making permanganate go to manganese(II), we're talking about 5 electron transfer, and so one mol of permanganate consumes 5 equivalents of electrons to give the manganese(II) ion.  This means that 1 mol of permanganate is equal to 5 equivalents of permanganate, or 1M KMnO4 is equal to 5N KMnO4, so you are correct in your ascertation about normality and molarity relations in the case of permanganate.  Take a look at the oxidation state changes in sulfur in thiosulfate and see if you can come up with rationale either supporting or refuting your statement that 1M thiosulfate is equivalent to 2N thiosulfate.  It sounds like you have a decent handle on this information.

Offline Rayan

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 03:18:01 AM »
no i'm not correct!
u said that 1 M KMnO4 is equal to 5N, i said it it equal to N/5, that is, i said that 1N = 5M. i must have remembered it wrong.. and the correct formula must be N = M/x.
in case of thiosulfate, S2O3 2- is transformed into S4O6 2- , thus we need two electrons, and then we get M = 2N .  is this correct?

now let's go back to the titration. usually when we want to calculate the normality of a solution indirectly, we dont just mixe the solution and then titrate only once!
i mean that, from the titration, i get the V of thiosulfate needed to titrate I2. the normality of thiosulfate is unknown. so at equivalence, the reactants react according to the stochiometric ratios, and nI2 = n thiosulfate/2 thus 2 N.V (iodine) = N.V (thiosulfate).
so "given" the number of moles of iodine, i calculate the normality of thiosulfate and then according to their relation written in the manual (and which i think is wrong) NV (permanganate) = NV (thiosulfate) we calculate the normality of permanganate.
and so we come back to the same problem, how to calculate the number of moles of iodine!
because when usually "I" do such an experiment, we dont just mixe at the first, we do a titration too, and fromt he titration we get the number of moles of iodine and then do a second the titration with thiosulfate and calculate its normality.
2kMnO4 + 10 KI + 8 H2SO4 ---> 5I2 + ...

here we have the volume of KI added. and they said it's 5-10 % (i dont know what that is), and the volume of the acid with its normality and the volume of KMnO4. but the acid, isnt just added to make an acidic medium? how can i know the limiting reagant to calculate the number of moles of iodine produced!!

i'm so sorry about the long post.. but there's one more thing, about the relation the wrote:
NV (permanganate) =  NV (thiosulfate)

i would have said that, nI2 from the above equation is equal to 5/2 nKMnO4. and nI2 using the titration equation is n thiosulfate/2, so we have:
n / 2 thiosulfate = 5/2 n permang.
so n permanganate = n thio /5
so, using the normalities, we get:

5 N. V (permang.) = 2 N.V (thio)

and not NV (permang.) = NV (thio) as they said, isnt correct?

thank you very much.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 01:53:42 AM »
u said that 1 M KMnO4 is equal to 5N, i said it it equal to N/5, that is, i said that 1N = 5M. i must have remembered it wrong.. and the correct formula must be N = M/x.

I misinterpreted what you wrote.  I thought you meant: molarity equals normailty divided by five.  That is correct.  I don't understand your formula, so if it works for you, great.

in case of thiosulfate, S2O3 2- is transformed into S4O6 2- , thus we need two electrons, and then we get M = 2N .  is this correct?

1 M = 2 N.  Yes.

I don't understand how you're supposed to titrate something without a standardized solution.  If you don't know the concentration of the thiosulfate, and you don't know the concentration of the permanganate, how are you supposed to figure out the mols of iodine?  It's all nebulous.

KI is 5-10%?  Is this the concentration of the solution?  How much you're supposed to add?  Do you have a standardized solution of KI?  I'm confused.

What you have written down for the 5 NV (perman) = 2 NV (thiosulf) is correct for molarity.  I don't think it's correct for normality.  I think because normality is based on equivalences, you wind up with a 1:1 ratio.  Unfortunately, I am way too tired to think at the moment.  I hate normality.  I have never heard a convincing argument for its use anyway.  Sorry not to be of so much help there, but perhaps tomorrow when I've slept a little more, I'll be able to figure it out.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 04:12:15 AM »
here we have the volume of KI added. and they said it's 5-10 % (i dont know what that is), and the volume of the acid with its normality and the volume of KMnO4. but the acid, isnt just added to make an acidic medium? how can i know the limiting reagant to calculate the number of moles of iodine produced!!

Limiting reagent is permanganate.

As you have stated in your first post yor aim is to find out concentration of permanganate solution.

To do so you should take known volume of permanganate, add excess of iodide and sulfuric acid. Amount of iodine evolved is directly proportional to amount of permanganate. Next step is to titrate iodine with thiosulfate solution of KNOWN concentration.

Amount of iodine is a link between amount of permangante and thiosulfate.

As hmx pointed out - if you don't know the concentration of thiosulfate solution you can't do anything.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links