April 25, 2024, 02:48:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Prescription Goggles  (Read 6471 times)

Offline HighTek

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Prescription Goggles
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:51:48 AM »
Does anyone know of any good places to order prescription goggles for lab use? I hate the ones that go over my glasses because it distorts my view.

Wearing contacts in the lab isn't a good practice so I was hoping to invest in some prescription goggles. I googled it but I realized that I'm not sure what the actual OSHA specifications are...
I'm experiencing both Alzheimer's and Deja Vu right now, I think I forgot this before.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Prescription Goggles
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 05:43:34 AM »
I have forwarded your question to CHEMED-L. Not much succes though:

I was able to get prescription glasses (not goggles) at Sears optical.  This was 12 years ago and cost $100 but my company reimbursed me.  It costs a little bit more than normal glasses to get the lenses replaced but well worth it.  I've had them replaced at Sears and at LensCrafters (Texas, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, South Carolina).

They are much larger than normal glasses and cover from above my eyebrows to my cheeks (very attractive).  They come with side shields that are large and the nose pieces sit low so there is little room between the glasses and nose.  They have survived research labs, teaching labs and K-12 labs and my tendency to drop them on the floor.

I just bought some safety glasses with a reader option. These glasses are called readers by pyramex(made of a plastic). they  have a small magnification lens on the bottom (like bifocals). Like the reading glasses you can get in the drug store they come with  different magnifications.
You can order them from Fisher scientific for approx. $6.
I got a 2.0 magnification.  I would say they are okay, not ideal.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 06:18:34 AM »
Does anyone know of any good places to order prescription goggles for lab use?

What continent are you on?

Your university/company should pay for them, they usually will have an account with a local optician. The best people to ask are those in your department who have prescription specs already, or the people in the finance department who deal with the opticians. I got mine free through my Chemistry department, and they are Uvex brand (www.uvex.co.uk).
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 12:05:54 AM »
Contact your school's EH&S department, they will know.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links