April 19, 2024, 02:32:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: % recovery of a mixture  (Read 3750 times)

Offline hsucellmolstudent

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
% recovery of a mixture
« on: September 27, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

My lab partner and I are at an impasse, can any of you answer our questions?

we recently did an extraction to separate benzoic acid and p-dimethoxybenzene from a mixture. We're working on our lab report and need to record % recovery of each crude solid we obtained. We began with 0.800g of a benzoic acid and p-dimethoxybenzene mixture that is1:1 by weight.

I think that we should use half of this (0.400g) as the original weight to find the % recovery of each solid separately since ideally benzoic acid and p-dimethoxybenzene were each half of that 0.800g.

My partner thinks that 0.800 was the original weight we started with and therefore is the amount we should use for the equation. 

I have one other question-- when I calculated % recovery (using the assumption that i started with 0.400 g of each compound), I came up with over 116.5% recovery of benzoic acid and 91.175% p-dimethoxybenzene. I feel like I should have lost some of the benzoic acid in the process. Could this have been caused by impurities? Can anyone think of a reason I gained benzoic acid?

Thank you all for your time!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: % recovery of a mixture
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 03:27:27 AM »
I would go for 0.4 g - after all, when all substance was recovered, it should be 100%, not 50%.

Not knowing the procedure it is hard to advise on the second question. Sometimes it is solvent that is difficult to remove.

Note, that sum of percentages should be 200.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links