April 27, 2024, 10:24:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: In Summer Physical Chem and in over my head  (Read 6264 times)

Offline llagetias

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
In Summer Physical Chem and in over my head
« on: June 14, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »
I'm taking summer P chem and even though I am studying the material over and over, it is hard to remember what comes from where and when or how to derive certain equations. If anyone has any advice on how to do well or of any resources, please let me know.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Re: In Summer Physical Chem and in over my head
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:50:31 PM »
Wow, p-chem in the summer sounds rough; how long is the term?  

I don't know if you are taking the quantum or thermo part but I always found it useful to categorize information.  For example, in thermo., you can organize by state function.  For each state function put the definition(s), total differential, and equations for calculating the change in that state function for specific cases.  You can do this for other topics (equilibrium, partition functions, etc.)  

For quantum, I organized everything by "problem" (e.g. Particle in a Box, Harmonic Oscillator, etc.)  Then I listed the Hamiltonian, eigenfunction form, eigenvalues (energies), boundary conditions, and any other important notes.  

The nice thing about this is when I worked on problems, it was very easy to find the equations I needed.  I also had instant cheat sheets (when permitted) for exams.  

Good luck

Offline smlgirl

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 05:13:53 AM »
uh oh.  I'm taking two pchem classes this summer.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:05:08 AM »
Yeah.  P-chem is not a course they offer at my school over the summer.  I imagine it can be done though as long as you stay focused.  We do have 4 week organic chemistry courses.  I graded for them a few times; having an exam once a week is no picnic for the students (or me - it takes a long time to grade those exams).  

Offline llagetias

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »
Maybe we're in the same class.

Sponsored Links