March 28, 2024, 01:35:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Graduate Studies in California  (Read 16869 times)

Offline jpg28

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: Graduate Studies in California
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 07:44:53 AM »
Hey guys, I just thought I'd inform you that I wasn't able to be admitted in UCLA for my PhD in Biochemistry this Fall 2010. Currently, I'm looking for other universities where I could possibly pursue my graduate studies. Can you guys suggest other universities, maybe even outside of California this time?

I've been searching, and Purdue University seems promising. Can you guys give me more inputs? I'm sorry if I continued my post here rather than create a new topic. I just think that this would save more space than creating a new one, but again, I may be wrong. :)

Offline smlgirl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 05:04:06 AM »
Unless you are at the top of your class and doing really great research at your school, I wouldn't waste time applying at any of those places.  Those schools are among the best in the world.  If you are indeed doing impeccable work now, then definitely apply.  UC Berkeley is great for Biochem and CIT is great for everything.  Other schools that are really hard to get into, but not as hard as the schools you listed:

UC Davis
UC San Diego
UC Irvine

I currently go to UC Davis and the grad students I do biochem research with are incredibly intelligent and have very impressive resumes.  I don't know if I could even get in to Davis grad school!

Good Luck

Offline smlgirl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 05:11:45 AM »
Oh I just saw your last post. haha sorry I couldn't get to you sooner!  It's very very competitive to get into a UC grad program!  My cousin got into biomedical engineering at UC Berkeley but she went to MIT, did research for four years, and i dont know about her GRE but had a perfect score on the SATs.  If you are serious about it I would consider applying to lower ranked schools like San Francisco State University, Loyola Marymount University, San Diego State University, san jose state (quite a large philippino community)..just look at all the california state schools

Offline jpg28

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
Thank you very much, smlgirl! :) Those will surely help me. :)

Sponsored Links