April 25, 2024, 12:17:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Volume of a Bacterial Cell is 2.54^3 micrometers. What is the volume of 10^5  (Read 8710 times)

Offline chrisaltman

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
...cells in Liters?
---
Hi all- new to the forum. I'm at NYU in some really tough Chem and Bio courses, so I figured I'd get some help from the masses. Thank you in advance!
In Silberberg's Chemistry, there is a problem that states:

The Volume of a bacterial cell is 2.54 micrometers^3. What is the volume of the cell in millimeters?
-This computes to 2.54*10^-9 mm^3, because you add the exponents (they're on the same scale; meters).
  The back of the book verifies that this is correct. However, part (B) of the question asks,

What is the volume of 10^5 cells in Liters?

I've done the calculation a million times, but I must be setting it up wrong. I establish that one cell in Liters has a mass of 2.54*10^-15 g, but from there I get stumped. The back of the book gives the answer as 10^-10 Liters. How does this make sense?! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
You don't need mass. All you need is number of mm3 in L.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline chrisaltman

You don't need mass. All you need is number of mm3 in L.

I don't need the mass. Okay. So, do I use Avogadro's Number here? It's asking for the volume of 10^5 cells that each have a volume of 2.54^3 micrometers. Could someone clarify?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
No, you are just converting volumes.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline chrisaltman

Sorry, none of that information is helpful in the least.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
mm3 is a volume unit, just like L. Conversion between mm3 and L is similar to conversion between - say - cups and gallons. You have to know how many cups in gallon and you are ready. In this case you have to know how many mm3 in L.

Sponsored Links