March 28, 2024, 10:16:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Working in a research lab?  (Read 5043 times)

Offline jfac

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Working in a research lab?
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:53:49 PM »
I am a freshman biochemistry major, and while I was looking for on-campus jobs, I was recommended that the best thing I can do is working in one of the faculties lab. I've already contacted a professor and got a position. But before I start working, can someone tell me how this is done in detail? Do I just do whatever they tell me to do?
Also exactly what is research grant?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Working in a research lab?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:22:52 PM »
A research grant is funds to perform research given to professors by the government or private institutions.  Professors will write a research proposal for the funding agency in order to apply for the money.  These proposals are reviewed by scientists and the top proposals are funded.  The grants cover cost of salaries (for the professor, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and research staff), laboratory equipment and supplies, and overhead (i.e. the university takes a percentage of the grant to support the department).

As for working in a research lab, you'll likely be assigned to work with a graduate student and postdoctoral fellow and you'll be helping him/her with their research project.  They will train you in the techniques you need to know and give you instructions on what to do.

Sponsored Links