April 19, 2024, 05:42:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: naming alkynes help?!  (Read 4569 times)

Offline stef975_2009

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
naming alkynes help?!
« on: October 04, 2009, 06:49:56 AM »
here's the link:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091004032036AAfupkQ

i hope you can help ???

answers typed in here are much more appreciated..tnx :-*

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: naming alkynes help?!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:51:22 AM »
Can't seem to find the imagebucket files. Can you repost them here, perhaps (below the text box there is a link entitled Additional Options, where you can find upload boxes for here.

For 2, from what I can gather, you are not completely wrong, but there are subtle rules as to where locants are numbered.

Perhaps for 4 there are issues with the name you have suggested being ambiguous, there may be other places an yne could be

Offline KritikalMass

• Mole Snacks: +9/-6
Re: naming alkynes help?!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 12:20:23 AM »
As the person before me pointed out it can get subtle and tricky with naming conventions, especially since the rules change and sometimes they are adhered to strictly but other times they aren't. But here are my observations/hints in the order presented on your yahoo post:

1) -yne suffix is for triple bonds. So you tried to say it had two triple bonds when it had two double bonds (-ene suffix).

2) Double bond is named or numbered before the triple bond. Since the double bond occurs between the 1 and 2 carbon you don't have to include the number 1 since it is implied. But this question is a perfect example of the subtleness of the naming conventions. Don't let it stress ya out  ;)

3) You answered "5-hexene-yne". What does the -ene suffix represent? A double bond! So you are saying there is a double bond and a triple bond (-ene + -yne) in a molecule with only one triple bond. The triple bond occurs between the 1 and 2 carbon so you don't need to put the #1 in the name.

4) You answered "5-Bromohexyne" So what does that imply? Well it has the  -yne suffix so it implies a triple bond. No number was given for the triple bond so what does that imply? It means the triple bond is between the 1 and 2 carbon. The number 5 tells me the bromine is on the 5th carbon.
Now let's look at the answer and compare: "5-Bromo-2-hexyne"
1) What does the -yne tell you?
2) What does the #2 tell you?
3) What does the #5 tell you?
4) Now draw the molecule you named as your answer (5-Bromohexyne) and the one that was correct (5-Bromo-2-hexyne). See the difference?

I hope that helped! Naming can be tricky but the best thing you can do is draw everything out. That will help you alot. Main thing to do is not get discouraged  :)

Sponsored Links