April 29, 2024, 07:46:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis Pathways  (Read 4676 times)

Offline sirpaul

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis Pathways
« on: October 04, 2009, 01:16:31 PM »
I have to make N-ethyl-N-isopropyl pentanamide starting with hydrocarbons. Any hints on how to do it?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Synthesis Pathways
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »
What functional group(s) are there present in your target molecule?

Offline sirpaul

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »
The compound is an amide, that has an ethyl and isopropyl group attached to the nitrogen. What I did is create 2-bromopropane through the hydrohalogenation reaction. I then reacted the 2-bromopropane with N-pentanamide to create N-isopropyl pentanamide. I would then repeat the process with the ethyl part. I don't think this is correct. My way of thinking was that the reaction would kick out the Br and bond to the N.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »
The compound is an amide, that has an ethyl and isopropyl group attached to the nitrogen. What I did is create 2-bromopropane through the hydrohalogenation reaction. I then reacted the 2-bromopropane with N-pentanamide to create N-isopropyl pentanamide. I would then repeat the process with the ethyl part. I don't think this is correct. My way of thinking was that the reaction would kick out the Br and bond to the N.

This would work, nothing wrong there. How would you make pentanamide, though?

Offline sirpaul

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
I put 1-pentanol through a hydration reaction, resulting in pentanol. I then oxydized pentanol, then pentanal to give pentanoic acid. By reacting pentanoic acid with ammonia (substitution reaction?) I got the pentamide. I then just added 2-bromopropane and 1-bromoethane to the pentamide (one by one of course) to get my final molecule. Is this correct? And are those just called addition reactions?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »
It's not wrong, but whether there are other, better ways is left as an exercise in retrosynthesis

Sponsored Links