April 20, 2024, 08:54:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: acid & base  (Read 2658 times)

Offline jwxie

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
acid & base
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »
According to my textbook
"As in the case of acetic acid, most of the NH3 molecules remain non-ionized at equilibrium and ammonia is therefore a weak base."

Why do we even mention NH3?

I know we usually called those OH- bases. So there is another type of base? (base on NH3-)???

I don't get that statement.

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: acid & base
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 12:49:15 AM »
I know we usually called those OH- bases. So there is another type of base? (base on NH3-)???

There are more definitions of acid/base and each one of them covers a different area of substances. When you talk about dissociation with the production of OH- you think at the Arrhenius definition of base, which is sometimes correct, but fails to explain a wide number of phenomena, such as the basic behaviour of NH3 in our case That's why there's a better definition (which also includes Arrhenius acids and bases), created by Brönsted and Lowry (if I remember well they worked independently and got the same results more or less at the same time): an acid is a chemical species which can lose a proton (H+) and a base can gain (or "accept") it. Considering the ammonia behaviour in water we can easily see that it's a base according to this theory (and in fact a NH3 solution is slightly basic):

NH3+H2O ⇋ NH4++OH-

And as your book says "most of the NH3 molecules remain non-ionized at equilibrium and ammonia is therefore a weak base", which simply means that the equilibrium I've written is shifted towards left

The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links