April 19, 2024, 09:05:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Salting-Out Effect  (Read 10598 times)

Offline Osbourne_Cox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Salting-Out Effect
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »
I'm not sure as to what would happen if NaCl was added to a test tube containing ether, water and methylene blue. Would it cause an increase or a decrease in the amount of methylene blue in the aqueous layer and why?

I've added methylene blue an ether and water mixture, and the methylene blue falls to the lower level, the water. I'm not sure what would happen if NaCl was added.

Thank you.

Offline Osbourne_Cox

Re: Salting-Out Effect
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:59:21 PM »
Another portion of the experiment involved placing water, aqueous crystal violet and 1-butanol in two test tubes. Then, NaCl was placed in one of the tubes until the aqueous layer was saturated. This caused the tube to go very clear at the bottom, and nearly clear at the top, whereas the other tube was bright purple. I'm not sure of the relationship between this experiment and my question though, if the two are even comparable.

Offline KritikalMass

• Mole Snacks: +9/-6
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 03:34:18 AM »
I'm not sure as to what would happen if NaCl was added to a test tube containing ether, water and methylene blue. Would it cause an increase or a decrease in the amount of methylene blue in the aqueous layer and why?

I've added methylene blue an ether and water mixture, and the methylene blue falls to the lower level, the water. I'm not sure what would happen if NaCl was added.

Thank you.
Is methylene blue a salt? If there are two different types of salt competing with one another for solvent what would happen if you took some of that solvent away to solvate another salt?

Offline Osbourne_Cox

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »
Methylene blue isn't a salt as far as I know. It was a liquid- a dye that we added a drop to the water and ether mixture.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:37:10 PM »
Methylene blue isn't a salt as far as I know.

Well go and look it up then and you might find out the correct answer.

It was a liquid- a dye that we added a drop to the water and ether mixture.

You added a solution of the dye, the dye is a solid not a liquid.

Sponsored Links