April 18, 2024, 08:27:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic strength borate buffer  (Read 15401 times)

Offline Merrels

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ionic strength borate buffer
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:40:34 AM »
Hi,

I wonder how to calculate the ionic strength of the following buffer:

0.1M boric acid + 0.1M borax -> mix to pH 8.5

I don't exactly know what ions are formed in this solution. My guess is

H3BO3 ::equil:: H2BO3-+H+
Na2B4O7.10H2O ::equil:: 2Na++B4O5(OH)42-+8H2O

so that the ionic strength becomes

Ic=1/2 ([H2BO3-]+[H+]+2[Na+]+4[B4O5(OH)42-])

But then I should know all these concentration. For [H2BO3-] I can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation because pKa=9.23, and the H+ concentration can be obtained via pH (?). For the other two ions I have no clue. So first of all have i got all the ions, or are others? And second, is my method for ionic strength calculation correct.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ionic strength borate buffer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:07:50 AM »
Why 2[Na+]?

You will need pKa (or Ka) values for B4O72- (or whatever form it takes in the solution) protonation.

Concentration of Na+ will be known once you calculate amount of borax that has to be added - but that requires Ka values mentioned. I have at hand only overall one and that's not enough.

IMHO simplest approach is to use my Buffer Maker, as it will calculate everything automatically.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Merrels

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I thought the 2[Na+] was needed because of stoichiometry...

Any idea where I can find this pKa value? Also I'm looking at this Buffer Maker program, but borax is not in the database, so can't use that I guess.

btw, do I need to include chemical activity? I saw it in a few topics on this forum.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
No, it should be just [Na+]. Because of stoichiometry [Na+] = 2[B4O72-] :)

Without activity you will be not able to calculate real concentrations of ions. Note, that if IS is too high, you won't be able to calculate them no matter how you try - limitations of theory.

As for pKa values - no idea, I have checked my sources and I found only

Na2(B4O5(OH)4).8H2O + 2H+ -> 2Na+ + 4B(OH)3 + 5H2O

with log K=12 and

B4O5(OH)42- + 2H+ -> H2B4O5(OH)4

with log K=16.3

Unfortunately these won't be easy to use for calculations, as they are overall constants. No idea where else to look :(
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Merrels

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:23 AM »
Your first equation looks quit useful. Can't I determine [Na+] using

K=[Na+]2[4B(OH)3] / [H+]2[Na2(B4O5(OH)4).8H2O]

where I know [Na2(B4O5(OH)4).8H2O]=[4B(OH)3]=0.1M and [H+]=10-pH? Or isn't this correct (maybe a should include [H2O] as well, I'm not sure)? But then, if it is correct, [Na+] and [B4O5(OH)42-] become negligible compared to the ions from the boric acid with its pKa=9.23 (about 100 times less at first sight).

What do you mean by "overall constants"? And where did you get this K value?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 02:05:57 AM »
In fact, this is a quite complex problem.
Borate buffer should contain additionally HB(OH)4 and NaB(OH)4 from borax hydrolysis (both concentration will be 2 times the borax concentration when assumption concerning complete hydrolysis of borax was made). Assuming this mixture has pH 8.5 you can calculate concentration of NaB(OH)4. You can safely neglect the ionic strenght coming from boric acid and in this case ionic strenght of solution will be equal to twice the borax concentration
AWK

Offline Merrels

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 03:33:54 AM »
But how can HB(OH)4 and NaB(OH)4 contribute to the ionic strength as they are not ions? And if you are right (which I assume you are), is there some kind of proof for this? Or is it a more intuitive argumentation? 

Maybe I should also say why I want to know all this. I, as a physicist, did some experiments and made a theoretical model for these experiments. But in this model the ionic strength should be know (has to do with Debye length). I can make this model fit if I choose the ionic strength to be about 1/5 of the buffer molarity (I=~M/5). So I hope that by doing these calculations, I can come up with this factor 1/5 somehow. Otherwise, my model might be wrong  :(

And unfortunately, I was already aware of the (huge) complexity of this system...but thanks for the reminder AWK :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 04:28:58 AM »
But how can HB(OH)4 and NaB(OH)4 contribute to the ionic strength as they are not ions?

They are dissociated, so they are in ionic forms, AWK just wrote formulas of undissociated reagents involed.

Offline Merrels

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »
Okay, sorry for that question.

Coming back on AWK's story: I know that I need to mix the 0.1M BA and 0.1M borax in a ratio of 3.5:1 to get pH 8.5. Then this means my ionic strength is about 2/4.5 times the molarity of the solution?
And, because the mentioned ions are "dominant", would this mean I'm dealing with a 1:1 electrolyte ?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:25:35 AM »
Assuming reaction is proceed according my previous post the ionic strength is approximately just 2 x concentration of borax in the final solution.
AWK

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 02:54:36 PM »
Assuming the complete hydrolysis of borax to 2HB(OH)4 + 2NaB(OH)4 you can obtain concentration of HB(OH)4 = 0.1 + 0.2 = 0.3 and concentration of NaB(OH)4 = 0.2 with ionic strentgh close to 0.2.
AWK

Sponsored Links