March 28, 2024, 04:00:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Taking pictures - photography thread  (Read 25566 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Taking pictures - photography thread
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
Anybody interested in photography?

Feel free to share your pictures - no matter what the subject is (as long as it is decent enough to show to average chemicalforums user). Or perhaps you want to discuss your camera? Lens? Share some experience? Go on :)

Note: please try to post pictures not wider than about 650 pixels, as wider ones can break the way forums are displayed. And while using chemicalfroums attachements is OK, you will probably do better using some picture hosting service like photobucket or something - when chemicalforums are moved (and it happens now and then) attachements are usually lost.

I will start. I am taking pictures since I was about 10 or 12. Now I am using EOS 400D. It happened this year that I took two nice shots of a raising and setting Sun:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:46:59 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Taking pictures - photography thread
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
This is probably the coolest picture I've ever taken, also a sunset, while I was in Hawaii.  Absolutely nothing special about the camera at all.  I was lining up the shot in the view finder (before digital cameras (!) and I had a friend standing behind me telling me when a wave was about to crash, and the timing was perfect :)
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:49:20 AM »
Nice one :)

I have some nice crashing waves taken in early eighties on BW film, somehow since then I have never been to the sea during stormy weather. This year we got to the sea in February (in exactly opposite direction everyone was going - we went north to the sea, everybody else went south to the mountains, if you will look at the map of Poland you will see what I mean). Highest waves were below 1 foot :(

Edit: 1 foot waves and about 5 feet and 5 inches of my wife ;)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:02:06 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
Here are a few more.  These are various pictures I've taken around our chemistry lab over the past few years. In order:

*3 phases of carbon dioxide visible in a liquid CO2 extraction I was doing for a chemistry demo
*getting ready for some organic photochemistry.  The pink solution is rose bengal and cyclopentadiene.  Oxygen is bubbling through for cycloaddition reaction.
*Reaction involving gaseous molecular chlorine.  The bottle was corroded and ended up not even opening...  but the set up was cool.
*Adding base to a thiazolidinethione-directed aldol addition.  Color changes from bright yellow to reddish purple
*visual separation of product from unreacted starting material after the very same aldol addition.  Product becomes bright yellow.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »
It wouldn't let me post the fifth, so here it is

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
When it comes to chemistry I have only pictures taken for my titration page - like this:

But here comes the funny part - how these pictures were taken :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »
What about animals? For example small ones, like this Lycaena dispar:

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 09:00:01 AM »
I love the last one.  Impressive image resolution.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »
I must admit this is one of the best butterfly pictures I took. Less then 200 meters from my house :)

Offline Arctic-Nation

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-9
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »
Two and a half months in Poland, and I've discovered I've taken not nearly enough pictures. Here's a sunset taken from my room, the location of the 'fire' would be the University of Warmia and Mazury.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »
Wow :)

Are you still in Olsztyn?

Offline Arctic-Nation

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 01:34:28 PM »
Most of the time till July next year.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »
I have been in Olsztyn for few hours back in seventies, and at least twice in a night train going through the city... ;) Somehow it was always either to the left or to the right of my way.

Offline Arctic-Nation

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 04:56:16 PM »
Can't say you've missed out on much. The whole place is as interesting as watching painted grass die.

Though I must admit that I've spent 7 years in the best university city in the world (Leuven, Belgium). ;)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »
Many small/average cities are boring. However, you are close to Mazury lakes, so you can try to visit MikoĊ‚ajki. About 70 km east of Olsztyn. As far as I remember city is not interesting, but I love lakes around.

Well, I loved them many years ago, I wasn't there for at least 10 years. I was told it is getting more and more crowded, but that shouldn't be problem at the moment.

Sponsored Links