April 20, 2024, 06:47:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Not understanding something with the structure in this reaction (picture inside)  (Read 4765 times)

Offline toadesque

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0

Why are there double bonds on the sulfur? Doesn't that give it way too many? Why not just single bonds all around and then give the oxygens 3 non bonded pairs and 1 bonded pair?

Offline jj74

sulphur is a 3rd period element in the periodic table. Think about what it can do with his orbitals, something that 2nd period elements like Carbon and Nitrogen can do.
It's a town full of losers, I'm pulling out of here to win

Offline KritikalMass

• Mole Snacks: +9/-6
sulphur is a 3rd period element in the periodic table. Think about what it can do with his orbitals, something that 2nd period elements like Carbon and Nitrogen can do.
Carbon and nitrogen can't do what toadesque is referring in the case of sulfur. But I will also give a hint: d orbital.

Offline jj74

Carbon and nitrogen can't do what toadesque is referring in the case of sulfur. But I will also give a hint: d orbital.

;D eh eh, I swear that's a typo ;D, I was meaning Can't do, not can do
It's a town full of losers, I'm pulling out of here to win

Offline KritikalMass

• Mole Snacks: +9/-6

;D eh eh, I swear that's a typo ;D, I was meaning Can't do, not can do
It's all good! There used to be a modify button on here but I don't know where it went. And I just happened to be about to post when it said someone already posted and saw what ya said and didn't want the OP gettin' confused. Keep up the good work!  8)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
There used to be a modify button on here but I don't know where it went.

It is still there, in the right upper part of the message. However, it is active just for 1 hour after posting, it was abused by some users.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links