April 16, 2024, 02:22:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enamel-toxicity  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Mithril

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Enamel-toxicity
« on: December 21, 2009, 05:12:47 AM »
Hello, I want to make myself a pair os sturdy barbells. I got the bars, and now want to protect them against corrosion. I bought an enamel, which contains the following:
- Xylene
- Toluene
- Ethyl-benzene
- Stabilised alluminum powder
- Naphta solvent
- 2-Butanone-oxime
After drying, can any of the (remaining) components pass through the skin? I'm worried especially about the alluminum, since I plan on using heavy weights, as such there will be a lot of friction between the bar and my skin...

Thank you very much, Vlad

Offline doc30

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Enamel-toxicity
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »
Most of those chemicals will evaporate during drying/curing of the enamel. The alumium powder is probably there to give it a metallic sheen, like you see in automotive paints. I'd be more worried about the enamel on the handles. It might make them more slippery and the enamel will likely wear off, maybe even flake off. Did you think about anodizing them? Wide color selection, looks good and no chemicals, but it can be pricey.

Offline skyjumper

• 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-4
  • Lab Aid
Re: Enamel-toxicity
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
Honestly for your uses, I would suggest just wrapping them in tape, I believe they have special tape for wrapping that type of thing, like for hockey sticks and such But electrical tape would work well too. Corrosion shouldn't honestly be much of a problem in the first place assuming that the bar is aluminum or steel.

Sponsored Links