April 29, 2024, 11:08:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction between Sodium thiosulfate and Iron (III) chloride!  (Read 17904 times)

Offline ananasdoceu

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction between Sodium thiosulfate and Iron (III) chloride!
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
Hello all,

I am taking IB chemistry, and I have recently done a practical about the reaction between Na2S2O3, and FeCl3.
I used different catalysts such as CaSO4, CuSO4, FeSO4 and NiSO4.
I am sure that many of you are familiar with this experiment, however I am very new to chemistry, and I would like to know exactly what causes the colour change to occur between the first two compounds; why the solution becomes transparent after some time; and how do the other 4 compounds act as catalysts in the reaction?
I would also appreciate some chemical equations to show the reactions which occur.

Many thanks!!!!

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: Reaction between Sodium thiosulfate and Iron (III) chloride!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 04:36:39 PM »
I couldn't find this on Google so I looked in the unutterably tedious and poorly organised "Facts, Patterns and Principles" and found the following

Iron (III) is reduced to Iron(II) via the dark-violet unstable complex anion,[Fe(S2O3)2]-

2Fe3+(aq) + 2S2O32-  :rarrow: 2Fe2+(aq) + S4O62-(aq)

Maybe the only item to pull out of that is thiosulphate (in common with its reaction with H+ and I2), acts as a reducing agent - and itself becomes the tetrathionate ion.

I think it is a bit obscure for A-Level/IB to be honest.

I don't know if your question expects this.

Clive

Sponsored Links