April 28, 2024, 09:41:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Depaul or Loyola or Iowa State for Chem Degree + other questions  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Marc936

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
First off, i just want to say i'm extremely grateful for stumbling into this forum. I am the only person I know that is going towards a science degree.

I just got my associates in science, gotten A's on all chemistry classes up to organic chemistry II, and now transferring in the fall. Depaul, Loyola- Chicago, and Iowa State (I saw this was ranked as a high chemistry undergraduate school) were the colleges I applied to and got accepted to. Which has more prestige to graduate from with a chem degree? I know loyola is really strong in the science programs, but would it make that big of a difference if I go to depaul instead?

Next, reading this forum is making me feel down... Is a BS in chemistry basically useless in the job market? I'd figure since it had a much harder curricular than business/accounting majors (no offense to those who are), that it would lead to higher paying salaries. Should I switch my major to Chem Engineering? Is there a huge difference?

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Re: Depaul or Loyola or Iowa State for Chem Degree + other questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »
A BS is definitely not useless in the job market but possibly not as valued as it once was primarily due to increasing student numbers and therefore a proliferation of graduates in the job market.

When I got my first job in the 80's it was originally a job for a high school grad, but all the appilicants were graduates. Later, I got another job intended for graduates but over time applicants for the postion routinely has MSc's and later PhD's. the employers can choose either the best suited (appropriate experience) or the most qualified from the applicant list.

My advice is, do what you find most enjoyable not what you think will pay better, remember you have 30+ years of work ahead of you, don't get stuck in a job you hate.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsored Links