April 20, 2024, 06:14:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reactions in the dark vs. the light with bromine  (Read 9083 times)

Offline Osbourne_Cox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reactions in the dark vs. the light with bromine
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
Why is there no use testing a hydrocarbon that reacts with bromine in carbon tetrachloride in the dark with the same reagent in the presence of ultraviolet radiation?

I do not know the answer to this, but I did experiments where different hydrocarbons were tested with the bromine tetrachloride solution, and the ones that reacted in the dark reacted in the light. The ones that didnt react in the dark, didn't react in the light (atleast in the case of octane, the alkane we used). I'm not sure of the connection between this, any help offered would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Reactions in the dark vs. the light with bromine
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
are you sure you got the same constitutional and diasteroisomers as a result of bromination under both conditions?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Osbourne_Cox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Reactions in the dark vs. the light with bromine
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:21:43 PM »
Well, with the alkane there was no reaction visible to me under either condition. With the alkene, in the dark the colors produced in the order in the liquid were: clear to orange to clear layers. In the light, the order was light orange to clear. In the aromatic hydrocarbon, the dark and the light were the same color and order as those seen in the alkene.

Sponsored Links