April 27, 2024, 12:35:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CO2 conversion help.  (Read 3141 times)

Offline A_Dubbs

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
CO2 conversion help.
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »
Hey guys, I am doing an enviromental project in my compute programming class and need help with a CO2 issue. I went to a website and found that the average between two different coal types used for giving off energy is 4392 lbs of CO2. Can anyone tell me how I can get this in PPM? It has been so long since I was in chemistry.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: CO2 conversion help.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 03:45:13 AM »
Please elaborate, what you wrote so far doesn't make sense.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline A_Dubbs

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
My apologies, I don't fully understand the subject myself. Basically, I have read that x pounds of CO2 is produced when one ton of coal is burned. I am wondering what the relationship between the pounds of Co2 and the Co2 released in the atmosphere (in parts per million) is. Maybe these are not related in the way I am looking at it, I don't know much about chemistry. What I want to be able to say is "since x lbs or Co2 is being produced by this coal plant, that is contributing x ppm of CO2 into the atmosphere". Again, maybe it doesn't work that way, I am clueless about this stuff.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:03:11 PM »
OK, now we are getting somewhere ;)

First: take a look at ppm definition.

To calculate concentration of carbon dioxide CO2 (note: large O obligatory) in atmosphere you will need mass of carbon dioxide and mass of atmosphere (the latter not that difficult to be googled). My bet is that you will find that CO2 produced in the largest power plants is riduculously low when compared to the carbon dioxide level in the atmosphere.

And check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links