April 24, 2024, 02:54:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ethanol dye  (Read 8934 times)

Offline tcurl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ethanol dye
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
I am looking for a dye very soluble in ethanol but not soluble, or minimally soluble, in water or gasoline. The colour of the resultant dyed ethanol is not important as long as it is easily distinguishable as coloured

Offline KritikalMass

• Mole Snacks: +9/-6
Re: Ethanol dye
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:06:49 AM »

Offline tcurl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:13:52 AM »
Thanks for the link to the chart. I'd already gone that route. The problem looks simple, but I'm guessing there is not a well known solution. I am trying to find an inexpensive way to detect ethanol adulteration of automobile fuel. Clearly the dye, needs to "fall through" pure gasoline, and gasoline which may have a small amount of absorbed water. If there is ethanol in the gasoline it will absorb the dye changing the color of the entire mixture.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »
If ethanol is dissolved is gasoline it won't necesarilly dissolve the dye the way you want it to. IMHO you should rather look for some simple reaction of ethanol.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:25:03 AM »
Thanks for the link to the chart. I'd already gone that route. The problem looks simple, but I'm guessing there is not a well known solution. I am trying to find an inexpensive way to detect ethanol adulteration of automobile fuel. Clearly the dye, needs to "fall through" pure gasoline, and gasoline which may have a small amount of absorbed water. If there is ethanol in the gasoline it will absorb the dye changing the color of the entire mixture.

No the problem is not simple at all and your understanding of how dye solubility works is plain wrong. 

Sponsored Links