March 29, 2024, 04:26:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I effect Problem  (Read 4371 times)

Offline ritwik06

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
I effect Problem
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:50:45 AM »
Why does NR3+ have greater -I effect than NH3+ ?
I think otherwise because alkyl groups have a  +I effect which would enhance electron density on N centre.

Offline aieeee

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
Re: I effect Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »
actually , this happens due to steric hindrance caused by the bulky alkyl groups surrounding NR3+.thus , its not easy to donate electrons in such a state. thus NR3+ shows -I effect much more than NH3+
(NH3+ doesn't hv bulkier groups surrounding ).

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:21 PM »
@aieeee : So do you mean to say that NR3 is less basic than ammonia?

(R=alkyl group)
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline aieeee

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »
dude,see , these ions , I'm mentioning can be formed in aqueous solution. thus take water as the medium and think about it again.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:01:40 PM »
I am going to take a guess at this. This is the opposite of what I expected. As I recall, the parameters for +/-I, etc. are derived empirically. So, if a reaction were performed, a nitration of trimethylanilinium and anilinium chloride for example, the trimethylanilinium chloride would have a greater amount of meta substitution and the reaction rate slower.

I suspect that while the electrophilic substitution reaction (or other reactions in which the -I effect is being measured) is essentially a kinetic process, anilinium ion can also participate in a deprotonation reaction as well. Although this is a thermodynamic process in which the anilinium ion is favored, aniline itself will have a +I value and can incrementally increase the apparent -I value.

I am not inviting anyone to believe this. I am only making a guess. If more data were presented, my guess could be more easily verified, refuted, or another explanation suggested.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline ritwik06

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
actually , this happens due to steric hindrance caused by the bulky alkyl groups surrounding NR3+.thus , its not easy to donate electrons in such a state. thus NR3+ shows -I effect much more than NH3+
(NH3+ doesn't hv bulkier groups surrounding ).
@aieeee : So do you mean to say that NR3 is less basic than ammonia?

(R=alkyl group)
I am going to take a guess at this. This is the opposite of what I expected. As I recall, the parameters for +/-I, etc. are derived empirically. So, if a reaction were performed, a nitration of trimethylanilinium and anilinium chloride for example, the trimethylanilinium chloride would have a greater amount of meta substitution and the reaction rate slower.

I suspect that while the electrophilic substitution reaction (or other reactions in which the -I effect is being measured) is essentially a kinetic process, anilinium ion can also participate in a deprotonation reaction as well. Although this is a thermodynamic process in which the anilinium ion is favored, aniline itself will have a +I value and can incrementally increase the apparent -I value.

I am not inviting anyone to believe this. I am only making a guess. If more data were presented, my guess could be more easily verified, refuted, or another explanation suggested.

I got this. Here is my view on this. In water or any polar medium, the alkyl bulky groups dont allow water or polar molecules to stabilise formal positive charge on nitrogen. Thats why it has a greater electron pulling tendency.
But the point mentioned by orgopete is worth noting, Why would meta substitution be favored more on trimethylanilinium than anilinium chloride?
@ By the way, is the solvent polar in this nitration reaction?

Sponsored Links