April 25, 2024, 06:03:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dissolving Ru for AAS  (Read 3851 times)

Offline dfodor

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Dissolving Ru for AAS
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:43:20 AM »
Hi,

I have a question regarding the dissolution of Ruthenium. I have catalysts containing Ru and want to measure the Ru content with AAS. I would like to dissolve it but did not find anything sure how it should work. I found that it cannot be dissolved in acids only in hypochlorites/chlorates/perchlorates (?) but I also found some article where the authors reported to dissolve Ru with 0.1M HCl or HNO3/HCl. I would be very happy if it would work with some common acids.

Best regards

Daniel

Offline arshiji

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Dissolving Ru for AAS
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »
yes it will work.

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
Re: Dissolving Ru for AAS
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
Ruthenium (like Os, Ir, and Rh) is practically insoluble in aqua regia. If one were to add chlorate (very carefully!!!), it will dissolve but exceedingly slow. The easiest method is sodium hypochlorite, for it is quickest and cheapest and I use this frequently. You will get ruthenate anion, a blood red solution (take care not to make acidic).

If they are dissolving it in 0.1 M HCl, then they must be adding chlorate or sparging with Cl2 and taking days. It seems a dubious procedure to me.

What is the nature of the catalyst? Is it ruthenium metal deposited on an inert substrate (i.e. Ru0/Al2O3). XRF or EDXS might be a better, if less quantitative solution.
Neither flask nor beaker.

Sponsored Links