March 29, 2024, 09:17:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about Physics (no problems)  (Read 11122 times)

Offline HighTek

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Question about Physics (no problems)
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:15:20 PM »
My first post...*ahem*

I abhor physics and I've put it off long enough.  I figured if I took a lower Physics course (non-calculus based), I would be set when I get to the Calculus Based Physics.

Is it easier to do the Calc based physics than the non-calc based physics? I am VERY comfortable with calc and I didn't too too well in the non-calc based physics, but I am determined to move on.

This fall, I signed up for the calc based physics in hopes that it would be easier.
I'm experiencing both Alzheimer's and Deja Vu right now, I think I forgot this before.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Question about Physics (no problems)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
Usually all the calc based problems in physics you should of seen in some form as an applied math problem in your calc. class. Hopefully...
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:55:37 PM »
I think that calculus based physics makes a lot more sense than non-calculus.

After all, F=ma is really a differential equation.  If you can't talk about derivatives, I'm not sure how you really discuss Newtonian mechanics.

Offline nf405

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:00:07 AM »
If you hate physics why are you taking it? do you have to? If you do have to I would say that since you are good at calc you will be ok with doing the problems and passing the exams definately but if you are bad at basic physics then maybe you won't get a deeper understanding of the concept and prob won't get much more out of the course than taking another calc course. On the other hand it may help you to understand and appreciate the physics better if you see it through a medium that you understand. Overall though if you hate physics then you're probably not going to like any physics course.

Sponsored Links