April 29, 2024, 08:24:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dissolving egg (or at least the amino acids/proteins) and proteins  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Athiril

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Hi,

Im wanting to try some alternative processes in my dark room, and I want to get the proteins/amino acids of an egg (raw or cooked) dissolved in a solution, and am wondering what kind of solvent I can use to do this.

I've tried the usual water + sodium hydroxide, which doesnt appear to work.

Thinking about making a trip to the shop to grab some mineral turpentine - non-polar solvent, and I was reading on each of the amino acids egg is made of the and some are hydrophobic - but there must be more to it then simlpy whacking it in a non-polar solvent.

I also dont actually have any acids atm (hcl, nitric or sulphuric which I need to get) apart from ascorbic acid (not ascorbate).

edit: in fact, lets say I bought some protein powder from the supermarket (i have a large an of soy based stuff here with me) - which has a wide range of amino acids - how would you go about actually dissolving it?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:01:44 AM by Athiril »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Dissolving egg (or at least the amino acids/proteins) and proteins
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:29:19 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise

The first thing I thought of was Mayonnaise, which uses vinegar.
I wonder if you adjust the recipe if you can get it to dissolve the egg rather than be an emulsion.

Offline Athiril

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Dissolving egg (or at least the amino acids/proteins) and proteins
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:43:05 AM »
hydrogen peroxide partially dissolves the egg.. as well is the protein powder which slowly starts to turn from opaque in water to partially transparent, but i only have 3% hydrogen peroxide.

I decided to try egg as it has a high concentration of amino acids (which all practially should be make good photographic developers if dissolved in an alkalai solution).

The turpentine did something strange and left a membrane on the bottom of my measuring cylinder with some egg yolk... which in turn left a milky opaque film on one side of the cylinder as I tried to clear it out.. oh well..

Sponsored Links