April 28, 2024, 07:44:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stannic chloride and 'tinning' glass  (Read 6379 times)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Stannic chloride and 'tinning' glass
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:54:59 PM »
I've been told that a brief washing of glass with stannic chloride is a good prep for the glass to hold silver following a tollen's test.  The stannic chloride apparently reacts with the glass to leave a miniscule coating of tin dioxide.  On wiki, it says tin dioxide is used in the ceramics industry to leave opaque coatings on things.  My question is - if it leaves an opaque coating, wouldn't this hide the silver (mirroring the inside of a bottle)?  Also, how exactly does the tin dioxide enhance adherence of the silver to the walls of the container?

Thanks for your time

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Stannic chloride and 'tinning' glass
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:21:18 AM »
In ceramics we sometimes use a tin compound to act as an opacifier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin-glazing

One wonders if you have to be on the inside of the bottle to appreciate the mirror.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:07:49 PM »
That is kind of my worry... A grad student in my group had stannic chloride in a sep funnel and it left chunks of tin oxide all over the bottom.  He hasn't been able to get them off at all yet, still has to try acid bath.

I asked our organometallic professor, and he didn't think it would really do anything beneficial other than thoroughly clean the glass, which could be accomplished just fine with hydroxide solution.

Offline Quaff

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »
I've been told that a brief washing of glass with stannic chloride is a good prep for the glass to hold silver following a tollen's test.  The stannic chloride apparently reacts with the glass to leave a miniscule coating of tin dioxide.  On wiki, it says tin dioxide is used in the ceramics industry to leave opaque coatings on things.  My question is - if it leaves an opaque coating, wouldn't this hide the silver (mirroring the inside of a bottle)?  Also, how exactly does the tin dioxide enhance adherence of the silver to the walls of the container?

Thanks for your time

Maybe you'll find this of interest:

http://www.teralab.co.uk/Experiments/Conductive_Glass/Conductive_Glass_Page1.htm

Sponsored Links