April 25, 2024, 12:18:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: HNO3 vs HCL vs HF  (Read 13791 times)

Offline fridizzle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
HNO3 vs HCL vs HF
« on: October 28, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »
What are the pros and cons of these 3 chemicals when comparing to themselves?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: HNO3 vs HCL vs HF
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:22:30 PM »
Question doesn't make sense.

ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline fridizzle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:29:48 PM »
What are the pros and cons of HNO3 versus the pros and cons of HCL versus the pros and cons of HF? I am comparing the three to see which is the safest, cheapest, and most environmentally friendly. I just need adequate and thorough information on these three chemicals.

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »
The concentration of each acid will have an impact on your pros & cons.

As a guideline, I would avoid HF if possible.  Handling HF is more difficult.  Exposure to small amounts can be fatal.  The difference being, that HF may not give a burining sensation.

Nitric acid is an oxidizer and can react to form explosive compounds.  It also readily forms nitrogen dioxide, which also hazardous.

Hydrochloric acid is not any more safe.  It is a strong acid, that is very reactive.  It readily puts HCl airbourne.  It can evolve chlorine gas when mixed with oxiders.

Without knowing the concentration level, storage conditions available, or intended use it will be difficult for question to be answered.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »
What are the pros and cons of HNO3 versus the pros and cons of HCL versus the pros and cons of HF?

What are pros and cons of bike vs fork, fork vs book, and book vs bike?

You are trying to compare things that can't be compared. If you want to move from point A to point B you will not use fork (I hope). If you wan't to dissolve copper you will not use HCl (well, nobody is going to stop you from trying, but don't be surprised if copper doesn't dissolve). Don't you see that question as posted doesn't make sense?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
What are pros and cons of bike vs fork, fork vs book, and book vs bike?

Don't you see that question as posted doesn't make sense?

What are the pros and cons of you vs. are vs. a vs. jerk vs. borek.

Obviously typhoon2028 understood and I understand. He is asking what are the beneficial factors vs. negative factors of HCl, HNO3, and HF. He is wondering what would be better to use generally, what would each one be used for generally. He wants to know a little bit about each substance, he doesn't want to know exactly when and where you use each one.

I am comparing the three to see which is the safest, cheapest, and most environmentally friendly. I just need adequate and thorough information on these three chemicals.

That's what he wants to know.

I'm not helping people? Stop discouraging people, you ruin people's goals.  ;)
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline csrscience.com

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
    • CSR Science
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:20:21 PM »
I'm on boreks side when it comes to this and he made a good point.

There isn't a better one to use - this is assuming all acids have a general purpose and they do not!

The uses of acids, as well as other reagents is very very vast.

I could give examples, but I feel it isn't necessary.
http://www.csrscience.com/
Mushroom Grow Supplies, Laboratory Equipment, Seeds.

Filter Pump Aspirator - Cheap - Humboldt

Click Here to get 10% Discount

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »
Also with Borek on this.  We need a purpose to give an opinion.  If he wants general info he can wiki.

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 10:22:51 PM »
Well, if that is how you view it, tell the guy to go look on wiki. I don't think there is a need to make an insulting, mocking remark to the guy because he is asking a question that does not all around make complete sense.

And, he specifically asked a question:

I am comparing the three to see which is the safest, cheapest, and most environmentally friendly.

No need to debate about this. Borek is a smart guy, but sometimes his comments and "answers" can be insulting and discouraging.

Thanks.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:41:45 PM »
However, those 3 things you mentioned are pretty much useless info if the compound doesn't perform the (unknown) desired function.  He only used an analogy.

Sponsored Links