March 28, 2024, 07:41:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to find how much oxygen gas is liberated from hydrogen peroxide?  (Read 5052 times)

Offline mondotwistedmojo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
We did a lab where we calculated how many grams of H2O2 there were per 100 mL of a commercial bottle of peroxide. We calculated the grams peroxide in our 1 mL samples from the moles peroxide, and the moles were calculated via a titration with standardized potassium permanganate.

The question I need help with asks:

"How would you find the number of 100 mL volumes of oxygen gas (under STP) liberated from 100 mL of the given solution upon complete decomposition of hydrogen peroxide"

I know that there is 1 mol oxygen for every 2 moles peroxide that decomposes.

We found that there was 0.00154 mol of H202 per every mL of the solution, so that would produce 0.00077 mol O2 per mL that decomposes, or 0.077 mol 02 per 100 mL peroxide solution.

How can I finishing answering this question? Do I need PV = nRT? I am weak on gas chemistry, and this question is kind of out in left field. How can I go from moles O2 to "100 mL volumes" of O2?

Can I even get an actual answer from the information given, or would I just describe the method?

Sponsored Links