April 29, 2024, 05:50:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The Cell  (Read 4792 times)

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
The Cell
« on: October 30, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »
Hey guys,

Does anyone know any other components that are in the cell (either major or minor) that are not in the list below?

Phospholipid Bilayer, Nucleus, Nucleolus, Ribosome, Vesicle, Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum, Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum, Golgi Apparatus, Cytoskeleton, Mitochondria, Vacuole, Cytosol, Lysosome, Centriole, Cytoplasm, Cilium, Eyespot Apparatus, Myofibril, Acrosome, Autophagosome, Glycosome, Glyoxysome, Hydrogenosome, Melanosome, Mitosome, Parenthesome, Peroxisome

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

P.S. Can someone explain what "-some" means, or what the relationship is between them?

P.P.S. I asked for deletion of the other post similiar to this by the moderator - please don't ban/lock this topic.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: The Cell
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »
You may want to consider adding the nuclear envelope, intracellular connections (gap junctions, tight junctions and desmosomes), and the extracellular matrix.

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:22:31 AM »

P.S. Can someone explain what "-some" means, or what the relationship is between them?

I think the suffix -some is related to the word somatic with the (a) definition:

1.    of the body; bodily; physical.
2.    Anatomy, Zoology. pertaining to the body wall of an animal.
3.    Cell Biology. pertaining to or affecting the somatic cells, as distinguished from the germ cells.
Origin:
1765–75; < Gk sōmatikós of, pertaining to the body, equiv. to sōmat- somat- + -ikos -ic >

I think the suffix -some means in cell biology a distinct entity or organelle wihtin the cell rather than some "continuous medium" such as cytoplasm.

I think the shared suffix -some does not imply any functional or structural relationship between the bodies in the cell with this suffix to their names.

Clive

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 10:41:30 AM »
I think the suffix -some means in cell biology a distinct entity or organelle wihtin the cell rather than some "continuous medium" such as cytoplasm.

I think the shared suffix -some does not imply any functional or structural relationship between the bodies in the cell with this suffix to their names.

Thanks! That makes sense since most of these "-somes" are specified to only a certain handful of cells.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sponsored Links