April 26, 2024, 02:26:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what's the mechanism?  (Read 17628 times)

Offline Ulfsaar

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: what's the mechanism?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 10:34:58 PM »
hello! KritikalMass
i think the Diketone might have the same mechanism as any other ketone, but i have never seen the circumstance which the five phosphor can reactive as a reductive reagent.is it possible in mechanism?

Offline Ulfsaar

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 10:47:28 PM »
# Heory
the phosphite ester is a nucleophilic reagent in the case of  perkow reaction,why does it attact the carbonly group and just attact the O in C=O? and the zinc might attack the α-carbon substituted by the bromine ,just as the reformasky reaction ,and in the acetate acid ,the organozinc is destroied by the H+,so we can get an enolate substance,instead of the zinc attact the carbonly to this product

Offline Heory

• Mole Snacks: +17/-2
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »
 :)

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »
Re: Phosphorous as a reductant
That is a fairly common reaction. PCl3 + Cl2  :rarrow: PCl5
or
Diethyl diazodicarboxylate + PPh3  :rarrow: hydrazide + triphenylphosphine oxide

Re: Electron donation to oxygen of carbonyl
I generally think of carbonyl groups having a resonance structure with a negative charge on the oxygen and positive on carbon. Hence, I did not expect to add electrons to an electron rich atom. I had not thought of the hexafluoroacetone example cited, kudos. Given that reaction, I too would be inclined to donate electrons to the oxygen to generate a negative charge on the carbonyl carbon for the condensation step. That example seems quite rational since there are two electron stabilizing trifluoromethyl groups.

While the mechanism accomplishes the goal of generating an enolate with zinc, I do not find it a compelling argument. Zinc will also reduce benzyl bromide to toluene. Thus, it would seem reasonable for zinc to insert in the carbon-bromine bond (if not adding directly to bromine). Iodide is a good reductant for dehalogenation, presumably by attack of iodide on an a bonded iodine.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline KritikalMass

• Mole Snacks: +9/-6
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 03:39:29 AM »
I agree with orgopete- the mechanism Heory is proposing is at least an attempt at solving the problem, but still think it is fundamentally wrong. I am all for an intramolecular attack of the carbonyl oxygen on the P+. I might just have to take a pic to show what I am talking about.

Offline Heory

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 04:55:51 AM »

Offline Heory

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 05:59:52 AM »

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »
Re: KriticalMass intramolecular rxn
I agree with Heory about the missed charge on the 4-membered ring and his doubt of the mechanism. I am doubtful more from a bond angle and electrophilicity point of view. The carbonyl carbon should have a bond angle of about 120°. An intramolecular attack on the oxygen seems unlikely (unless you show some precedent). Will an alpha-halo amide should be more conducive of this reaction?

Re: other mechanisms
I concede to being at a disadvantage in that the only examples I am aware of for the Perkow reaction are those cited in Wikipedia. In the proposed mechanism with bromoacetone, how much Perkow product results in this reaction? Does the Arbusov reaction compete with it?

I am familiar with a bisulfite addition to aldehydes, but I am unaware of a phosphite equivalent. If phosphite does add to the carbonyl, then the reaction of triethylphosphite with bromo or chloroacetaldehyde should be an even better Perkow reaction. Is it?

Re: addition of electrons to the oxygen of a carbonyl
I would argue with Woodward on this one. While that may have been written, I would argue that it goes more to writing a short explanation of what must have happened, but not necessarily how. I am more inclined to think along the lines of a dissolving metal reduction or an acyloin condensation in which electrons are added to the carbon and resulting in breaking the pi-bond. If a second electron were added, it would add to the radical.

This example points to some very real quandaries in proposing mechanisms. The carbonyl group is not particularly basic in this example, so protonation by acetic acid seems an unlikely initial step. The mechanism does not involve acetic acid. Does the reaction succeed without it? Is acetic acid present to "clean" the zinc? There are other similar reductions, like a Clemmensen reduction. For it, I thought it important to protonate a carbonyl group first and then the electrons are added to a increasingly electrophilic carbon.

I do concede that upon searching, it is not difficult to find the proposed mechanism for a Reformatsky reaction. I had been taught that it inserted into the C-Br bond, but that should not be important. Since it now appears that a Zimmerman-Traxler transition state exists for addition of a Reformatsky reagent to an aldehyde, therefore the zinc is complexed with the oxygen and not the carbon. I can understand that a mechanism of addition of electrons to the carbonyl oxygen will result directly in that enolate. Is that compelling to the mechanism? How do electrons add to carbonyl groups? The reason I was skeptical was I can find many examples in which electrons are added to the carbonyl carbon, but I was not aware of a single example of an addition to the oxygen. For example, if it adds to the oxygen, then addition of a methyl Grignard to a bromoketone ought to give the same enol ether product. I don't know that none of that forms, but I don't think it is an important reaction.

Even so, I am not persuaded to believe any of the proposed mechanisms for the quinoline dione example in Wikipedia. An SN2 displacement on a tertiary trifluoroaceate does not seem likely. Direct displacement by attack on the oxygen of the trifluoroacetate does not seem likely. Perhaps addition to the oxygen of the carbonyl group would work, but I don't like that it is an aryl ketone with a vinylogous nitrogen donating electrons as well. That does not mean that one of those mechanisms may not present. It just means I am uncomfortable with matching their electron movements with other chemistry that I have knowledge of.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline KritikalMass

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
Well, either no one in this thread is correct, or Wikipedia is wrong (which would not be surprising).

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
Touché!

Offline KritikalMass

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 11:38:48 PM »
Heory- I noticed you spend alot of time over in the graduate level ochem board. Can you ask one of the mods to come over and clear this situation up? And yes, I disagreed with some of your mechanisms but hope my disagreements didn't come across as ad hominem. If they came across that way than please accept my apologies.

This has been quite a thread and looks to me as if the Wikipedia article needs some revisioning.

Sponsored Links