April 25, 2024, 05:21:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: electronic configuration  (Read 6091 times)

studygirl

electronic configuration
« on: June 22, 2005, 02:01:53 AM »
hi, i will write the question, then all i ask, is some help on understanding the question and so idea on how to begin it, i really do not understand this electronic configuration at all.. :-[

explain the following on the basis of the electronic configuration.
a)the electron affinity of S is -200Kj'mol-1 and Cl is -348Kj'mol-1
b)the first ionization energy of Li is 520Kj'mol-1 and of Cs is 376Kj'mol-1
c)the electron affinity of Si is -120Kj'mol and P is -74KJ'mol-1

not sure how to begin, or even how to understand how to begin,
maybe if i understood what it was asking, or understanding electronic conf..

any help or advice would help, my teacher didnt go over it too well.
thanks a lot

asqa

Re:electronic configuration
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 04:31:23 AM »
hi, i will write the question, then all i ask, is some help on understanding the question and so idea on how to begin it, i really do not understand this electronic configuration at all.. :-[

explain the following on the basis of the electronic configuration.
a)the electron affinity of S is -200Kj'mol-1 and Cl is -348Kj'mol-1
b)the first ionization energy of Li is 520Kj'mol-1 and of Cs is 376Kj'mol-1
c)the electron affinity of Si is -120Kj'mol and P is -74KJ'mol-1

not sure how to begin, or even how to understand how to begin,
maybe if i understood what it was asking, or understanding electronic conf..

any help or advice would help, my teacher didnt go over it too well.
thanks a lot
Ionization energy: the energy required to remove an electron from a neutral atom.

Electron affinity: the energy change when a neutral atom attracts an electron to become a negative ion.

The ionization energy or ionization potential is the energy necessary to remove an electron from the neutral atom. It is a minimum for the alkali metals which have a single electron outside a closed shell. It generally increases across a row on the periodic maximum for the noble gases which have closed shells. For example, sodium requires only 496 kJ/mol or 5.14 eV/atom to ionize it while neon, the noble gas immediately preceding it in the periodic table, requires 2081 kJ/mol or 21.56 eV/atom. The ionization energy can be thought of as a kind of counter property to electronegativity in the sense that a low ionization energy implies that an element readily gives electrons to a reaction, while a high electronegativity implies that an element strongly seeks to take electrons in a reaction.

The electron affinity is a measure of the energy change when an electron is added to a neutral atom to form a negative ion. For example, when a neutral chlorine atom in the gaseous form picks up an electron to form a Cl- ion, it releases an energy of 349 kJ/mol or 3.6 eV/atom. It is said to have an electron affinity of -349 kJ/mol and this large number indicates that it forms a stable negative ion. Small numbers indicate that a less stable negative ion is formed. Groups VIA and VIIA in the periodic table have the largest electron affinities.

i hope this may help you. Still you have any doubt feel free to ask further

asqa

Re:electronic configuration
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 04:33:37 AM »
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/chemical/bondd.html
go the link you will get the information more

Sponsored Links