April 20, 2024, 05:14:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is n and l?  (Read 4065 times)

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
What is n and l?
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »
I have two chemistry questions, and I have no way of attempting them because I have no idea what they mean.  :-\

1. For n = 4, what are the possible values of l?

2. For n = 1, what are the possible values of ml?

What does n, l, and ml, mean? (not liters...milliliters...this has to do with quantum energy - I think)

Thanks
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline Arctic-Nation

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-9
Re: What is n and l?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »
I'll just help you get started, but I strongly suggest you to pick up a handbook that explains the details of quantum numbers.

n is the principal quantum number, indicating the number of the shell an electron occupies (the main energy level, the distance from the nucleus). The value of n is zero or a positive integer.
l is the angular (or azimuthal) quantum number, indicating the angular momentum of the orbital (its shape). l has values ranging from 0 to n-1.
ml is the magnetic quantum number, ruling the direction of the orbital (along x,y,z coordinates). Values range from -l, -l+1,..., +l-1, +l.
ms is the spin quantum number and has values of +1/2 and -1/2.

Taken together, the four quantum numbers describe the exact quantum state an electron is in. Which quantum numbers are available for a given electron are ruled by the so-called Aufbau principle, which incorporates Madelung's rule, Hund's rules and the Pauli exclusion principle. Read up on these terms. Even a simple mathematical explanation of the origin and meaning of quantum numbers is rather difficult, so try to take it easy. You will not understand everything anytime soon, so focus on the physical implications. Unless you want to specialize in quantum chemistry, these are the most important.

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: What is n and l?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:13:50 AM »
When the question was posed to you there must have been some “context” or prior information.

What was that?

That should give you some clue how to find information relevant to this question.

Otherwise, trying to answer the question you posed is as impossible as trying to answer the following “question”.

“When q=5, what are the possible values of r?”

Sponsored Links