April 29, 2024, 02:17:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Three or More Elements  (Read 4048 times)

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
Three or More Elements
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:26:52 AM »
This may be a really dumb question, but I'm not sure of its answer.

I understand reactions (to an extent), but how do three or more elements come together?

For instance (asked by another member), how is Strontium Aluminate (SrAl2O4) formed?

or Acetate (C2H3O2...CH3COO)?

Thanks.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Three or More Elements
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 02:00:24 AM »
How to make organic molecules like acetate is the subject of the field called organic chemistry, you too would know how to make a variety of organic molecules once you take that class. It would take too long to teach you that field, just wait until you take it in your 2nd year undergraduate studies, it will be mandatory for the fields you want to go in.

The way to make odd metal oxides like strontium aluminate often don't have simple rules like you'll find in organic chemistry to make it. There is often no class you can take to learn  how to do theses things. However, you could probably make it by heating aluminum oxide in the presence of powdered strontium in an oven open to air. But learning how to do metal oxide synthesis is learned only by being in the field for awhile and seeing how it thinks and approaches problems.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline BetaAmyloid

• Mole Snacks: +18/-38
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »
Ah, so a lot of things are through research on the internet or doing experiments yourself.  :-\
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought - Albert Szent-Györgyi

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:40:52 PM »
This may be a really dumb question, but I'm not sure of its answer.

I understand reactions (to an extent), but how do three or more elements come together?

For instance (asked by another member), how is Strontium Aluminate (SrAl2O4) formed?
Aluminum is amphoteric, that is (for example) its oxide behaves as a base, with strongly acidic oxides (anhydrides) and as an acid, with strongly basic oxides. Strontium oxide is a strong base, so aluminum oxide behaves as an anhydride, forming a salt:

SrO + Al2O3 --> Sr(AlO2)2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphoterism

Sponsored Links