March 28, 2024, 04:53:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help please - lab due today - Impact on VOLTAGE when diluting anode solution  (Read 7700 times)

Offline daveh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
So I did an experiment with the following cell: Zn(s) | Zn+2 (aq, .5M) || Cu (s) | Cu+2 (aq, .5M) When I diluted the cathode solution (Cu+2) to 0.005M, I saw a slight drop in the measured voltage (1.080V undiluted, 1.030V diluted cathode). Is this what is supposed to happen?

What would happen to the measured voltage specifically if the anode solution (Zn+2) was diluted instead? And why?

I've been searching the web for days until I ran into a similar but different discussion in this thread here: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=31631.0

The other thread talks about molar conductivity being related to electrolyte concentration. However, I'm not sure how conductivity (units S/m) would relate to voltage exactly, so the other thread isn't of much help.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:11:54 AM by daveh »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
You have not heard about Nernst equation?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline daveh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
You have not heard about Nernst equation?

Aaaah okay, I understand. You're a lifesaver. And no, we haven't talked about the nernst equation yet in class.

Sponsored Links