March 29, 2024, 01:34:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Actinide Ion-Exchange Resin  (Read 6481 times)

Offline b3ni

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Actinide Ion-Exchange Resin
« on: November 05, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
Hi, this is my first post so, don't be too harsh  :P

Well, I'm researching an article for college on the discovery of the actinide elements (Mainly the synthetic ones). I was wondering if anyone knew of the ion-exchange resin used the discoveries of Berkelium through to Mendelevium (I assume they are the same one, yet if they are not one will do). I have searched online and through various text books. Using a reaction that's referenced in many of Glenn Seaborg's books is
M3+(aq)  + 3 NH4R(s) ↔ MR3(s) + 3 NH4+(aq)

Yet I can't seem to find online a polymer of which ammonium would be eliminated. Does anyone know of the one used or one in general.

Thanks in advance.
B3ni

Edit Sorry I forgot to add, R represents the organic part of the resin and M represents the Actinide ion
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:07:33 PM by b3ni »

Offline b3ni

Re: Actinide Ion-Exchange Resin
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
Well I've found it, Dowex-50 is used, if anyone was interested. Haha, unfortunetly I plan stick around here, so this may not be last you'll see of me. Hopefully my next topic may go somewhere.

Offline b3ni

Re: Actinide Ion-Exchange Resin
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »
Well it turns out the exchangeable ion in Dowex-50 is a H+ ion, I'm not sure why he refferences a reaction with an ammonium ion, no wonder I got confused. 

Sponsored Links