April 26, 2024, 12:01:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: simple,easy,fun chemistry textbooks  (Read 4745 times)

Offline calorblind

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
simple,easy,fun chemistry textbooks
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
hey guys im doing my undergrad now, and im looking for a simple, fun, short organic chem book , that is packed with mnemonic so we can easily memorize reactions etc.. i dont want those super thick books, that takes ages to read etc. hope u could share it !

im having a hard time with thermodynamics.. got a 4/17 for my first test.. i dont understand a single thing, with all the delta, enthalphy. this is bad...

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: simple,easy,fun chemistry textbooks
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »
conceptual understanding is the way to go for organic.

Offline calorblind

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »
yeah i know.. i tried that but i couldnt get a good hold of it cos it seems like so many things can be happening at the same time, and diff things happens to diff molecules etc

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
packed with mnemonic so we can easily memorize reactions etc..

That will only get you so far, you'll fall flat early if you're just memorising reactions. You need to get to grips with the fundamental concepts.

Whether it's fun is debatable (it's pretty old school), but A Guidebook To Mechanism in Organic Chemistry by Peter Sykes is excellent for 1st year undergrad, and it only costs peanuts second hand.

You might also try this one: Foundations of Organic Chemistry by Hornby & Peach. It's very short (96 pages), and again costs almost nothing second hand. This one's geared towards bridging the gap between high school and university level organic chemistry. If you feel as though you've been thrown in at the deep end on your organic course this could help an enormous amount.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline calorblind

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »
what about pushing electrons or organic chemistry as a second language? heard its pretty good as well!

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
im having a hard time with thermodynamics.. got a 4/17 for my first test.. i dont understand a single thing, with all the delta, enthalphy. this is bad...

For thermo help you should check out Understanding Thermodynamics by H.C. Van Ness. It is about as simple and fun an introduction to thermodynamics as one can imagine.

Offline KritikalMass

• Mole Snacks: +9/-6
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:25:42 AM »
Have you looked at "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" by David R. Klein? They are great for Ochem 1 & 2, but if you are beyond those levels than no need to mess with them.

Sponsored Links