March 28, 2024, 05:23:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fusion at room temp  (Read 12914 times)

aj45

Fusion at room temp
« on: June 25, 2005, 09:20:49 AM »
I recently heard some talking about how two scientists had succesfull created energy by fusion but at room temperature. Does anyone know anything about this as i always thought the energy requred for fusion is so high fusion can only take place in the sun??.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Fusion at room temp
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 10:25:47 AM »
sounds like cold fusion

u can read more about it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion
one learns best by teaching

Offline Grejak

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 11:30:27 AM »
I recently heard some talking about how two scientists had succesfull created energy by fusion but at room temperature. Does anyone know anything about this as i always thought the energy requred for fusion is so high fusion can only take place in the sun??.

You’re right to be a skeptic about such claims.  Scientists have yet to create energy by fusion at room temperature, also known at “cold fusion”.  However, a small minority of scientists are working on cold fusion, some will even claim that they have been successful.  But, they are pretty much deluding themselves.  The article previously provided has some good examples of why most people are skeptics.

That being said, you can have fusion occur on the earth.  It happens all the time at accelerators around the world.  As for the type that actually creates energy, there are many scientists working on the first generation of fusion reactors.  Those reactors should produce energy; however, they will only work at high temperature and pressure.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 12:43:59 PM »
I assume you mean the recent work of Naranjo and his pyroelectric crystal neutron generators from the article in nature several months ago. I'm skeptical, but I haven't run it by my fellow lab mates yet.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v434/n7037/full/nature03575.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 01:13:42 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 12:41:40 PM »
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v434/n7037/full/nature03575.html

i wish i still stay in hall, then I can access nature online. sigh..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 12:42:41 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links