April 28, 2024, 07:31:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation-Reduction Net Ionic equations: Elemental metal with HCl  (Read 7398 times)

Offline psychoNOT

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I am trying to set up NET ionic equations for the elemental metals (Mg, Fe, Cu, Zn, and Sn) in a solution of 6M HCl
I mostly understand how to do this, I just have a few questions.
One clarification- for example, I know the reaction of Mg(s) + 2HCl(aq) :rarrow:MgCl2+H2(g)
So because I need to make net IONIC equations, I only include the elements which changed charges (Mg and H), so the net ionic equation would be Mg(s) + 2H+(aq) :rarrow:Mg2+ + H2(g)
I am assuming that the rest of the metals will have similar equations, but my questions are:
1. How do I know that only the metals will be ionized, and I won't have a product in which the Cl has changed charges?
2. How do I know what ON the metal will have without looking it up in some sort of table?  I know the ON rules for main group elements but I am confused about the transition metals.  Feel free to explain it in terms of MO or VSEPR theory as I believe that has something to do with it.
Thanks a lot.

Offline csrscience.com

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
    • CSR Science
Re: Oxidation-Reduction Net Ionic equations: Elemental metal with HCl
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:48:29 AM »
This explains it a bit... http://indiescience.org/basetalk/index.php?topic=13.msg14#msg14

1. How do I know that only the metals will be ionized, and I won't have a product in which the Cl has changed charges?

Chloride is almost always soluble,  and if it is soluble it does not play a roll in the reaction..
The charges of Cl can't really change unless it is oxidized into a polyatomic ion such as OCl- ClO3- or ClO4- or into Cl2 - I don't know how to explain it any better other then it is just common sense that these things won't happen. meh...

Ok now to the part I am curious about...
2. How do I know what ON the metal will have without looking it up in some sort of table?  I know the ON rules for main group elements but I am confused about the transition metals.  Feel free to explain it in terms of MO or VSEPR theory as I believe that has something to do with it.
Thanks a lot.

What are the ON, MO, and VSERP rules/theory?

ON = oxidiation number?
MO = metal oxide?
VSEPR = ?? I have no idea?

PS. Remember that Cu is lower on the reactivity scale then hydrogen, and as such will not react.. :P

http://www.csrscience.com/
Mushroom Grow Supplies, Laboratory Equipment, Seeds.

Filter Pump Aspirator - Cheap - Humboldt

Click Here to get 10% Discount

Offline psychoNOT

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:59:31 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Sorry, ON- Oxidation Number; MO- Molecular Orbital Theory; VSEPR- Valence Shell Electron Repulsion Theory.  I assumed that the rules for what charge a specific transition metal will have are derived from something to do with one of these theories, I just don't know exactly what.  Obviously I could just look up in a book that the most common iron ion is Fe3+, but I would rather understand how to figure this out without looking at a table.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 03:15:49 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Sorry, ON- Oxidation Number; MO- Molecular Orbital Theory; VSEPR- Valence Shell Electron Repulsion Theory.  I assumed that the rules for what charge a specific transition metal will have are derived from something to do with one of these theories, I just don't know exactly what.  Obviously I could just look up in a book that the most common iron ion is Fe3+, but I would rather understand how to figure this out without looking at a table.
Since during reaction with acids Hydrogen (strong reductor) is evolved ON for transition metal is lowest from typical ONs for this element (ie Fe2+ not Fe3+ - periodic tables usually show typical ONs)
AWK

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »
Thanks a lot.
Different metals can take different oxidation states. The possible oxidation states are listed:

See:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/transition/features.html#top
Variable oxidation state (number)

All potential oxidation states every element can take (including transitions is listed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oxidation_states_of_the_elements

Which oxidation state a metal will take depends on the other reactant and it electrode potential and concentration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_standard_electrode_potentials

Clive

Offline psychoNOT

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
Since during reaction with acids Hydrogen (strong reductor) is evolved ON for transition metal is lowest from typical ONs for this element (ie Fe2+ not Fe3+ - periodic tables usually show typical ONs)
So all of the metals will be oxidized to the 2+ state?  Would I just look at typical ON's for each metal and assume it would be oxidized to the ion with the lowest charge?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 03:06:45 AM »
So all of the metals will be oxidized to the 2+ state?

Yes.

Would I just look at typical ON's for each metal and assume it would be oxidized to the ion with the lowest charge?

That goes a little bit too far for me. Lowest can be wrong. There is no really simple way of dealing with the problem. The most serious and elaborate method calls for use of Nernst equation and tables of standard potentials.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links