April 25, 2024, 01:16:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to explain Thermal Degradation of organic compounds?  (Read 2873 times)

Offline shadowrains

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to explain Thermal Degradation of organic compounds?
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
Hi,

Sorry I can't disclose the organic compounds use in the synthesis process.

My Current situation: I started off with sample A. The first step of synthesis is a reaction between A and an organic compound B, which yields sample A+B. After the reaction, the sample A+B is thermally tested using TGA in an inert environment (Nitrogen gas). The highest temperature for this test does not degrade A, so the weight loss percent from the TGA graph is attributed to the presence of B in the sample.

This synthesis process was carried on till the sample became A+B+C+D. Comparing the TGA result from A+B+C to A+B+C+D, the graphs showed a drop in degradation of the sample.

I am wondering whether I could explain the drop in degradation by using the melting point of D because the melting point of D is higher than the maximum temperature of the TGA test while the melting point of B & C are below the maximum temperature.

I would also like to know whether there are any other alternative methods to explain thermal degradation rather than the melting point of compounds.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links